Dublin Bus System

Search

Dublin Bus System

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin Bus System

I've looked through past posts to see if I could find something about public transport in Dublin and couldn't find anything relating to my situation.

We'll be there from April 18-22. We are picking up a vehicle on the 21st so we have decided to get a 3 day bus pass. I was on the Dublin Bus website trying to figure out how to navigate the stops and routes.

If anyone has used the bus system please advise whether or not it is complicated or simple. I am always the navigator on our trips and so I need to prep myself before I thow us all to the wolves.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:08 PM

Are you sure that's necessary? My parents stayed in Dublin for 2 days on their own prior to a coach tour around Ireland. Dublin's not a big city and all the major sites are close together. They visited all of them on foot alone.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 01:43 AM

Where in Dublin are you staying?

I agree with rkkwan that if you are staying somewhere central, you will probably not need a bus pass. The only times I used any public transport there were to travel to/from the airport and I used the bus for that. Nearly everywhere in the centre is easily walkable.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 02:44 AM

Hi, I live in Dublin and think you'll be easily able to walk anywhere really. It's not a very big city. You can take the airport bus into the city centre. The buses if you wanted to buy a pass are very easy to navigate. Not very reliable time wise though, no super efficiency like some of our european counterparts!! There are plenty of city sightseeing tours, reasonably priced, hop on, hop off. There's the viking tour, it's like a big open jeep on land and then it turns into a boat and goes into the river liffey. You get to wear stylish viking helmets, optional of course!! It's great craic! There's also a new boat tour that runs the lenght of the river liffey @ around 11 euro. So all in all I think I'd probably give the bus pass a miss! Also make sure you visit grafton street for shopping and stroll up to St Stephens green Park if the weather is good, it makes a pleasant afternoon. The Guinness Brewery would also be on my list as there are very good views of the city from there and theres the Guinness of course. Visit Trinity College and see the Book of Kells. Be very careful in the city centre especially around Christchurch and St. Patricks Cathedral and you'll be fine safety wise . Hope this helps, regards, Samaga
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Oh shoot. I'll have to see if I can do a refund. We are planning to stay near Trinity College.

We are planning to visit Kilmainham Gaol as well as the Guiness Storehouse. I was also thinking about Trim Castle. That is why I thought of the pass. I figured it would be easier than trying to purchase individual bus tickets each time. I didn't think it was wise to get the hop on/off since it was only good for 24 hrs and we'd be there about 3.5 days.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:00 AM

If you are staying near Trinity, then you are smack bang right in the middle of things, you will be able to pick and choose any bus you need, you will save quite a considerable amount by having a 3 day pass, it will come in useful.The bus system in Dublin is simple, and the drivers are usually quite helpful about directions. Good luck
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 01:41 PM

I don't know how much you plan to walk but I walked from the centre of Dublin to the Guinness Storehouse and Kilmainham Gaol. I went to both on the same day since they are the same direction from the centre of Dublin.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies and suggestions.

We'll just keep the pass...as it is only 10EUR and may come in handy.