Search

Drvie from Edinburgh to London HELP

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drvie from Edinburgh to London HELP

We will be spending a lovely 5 plus weeks adventure meandering
up the UK from London to the Scottish Highlands this summer.
Becasue of the deal I got it included a car and air tickets but the car has
to be returned to London airport. It is one thing to leisurely drive up
but I am not thrilled with the thought of driving back to London but I will be charged
a large penalty if I was to return the car in Edinburgh. I may eventually decide to do this
but I like to plan for all events. So I have given us 2 days and 2 nights to drive back to
London from Edinburgh.
What I was wondering if what is a good place to stop. I thought I could do 4 hours in the first day.
I was looking for a quaint town with something to see. I feel it is always better to drive with
a destination in mind. It makes it easier when driving with children.
I feel if we will leave early in the morning ... drive out 4 hours ... get out .. see something ...
not sure here what that is .. a garden.. a castle ... a quaint village .. and then maybe drive and other 1/2 hour to a Bed and Breakfast for the night.
We will be doing the scottish boaders Kelso, Melrose, Alnwick, York, Dales and Moors going up.
Someone suggested Knaresborough or Stamford, Harrogate. .. but I wasnt sure.
Even though this is basically a long drive to the airport I want to treat it like it is still part of
our vacation and see something wonderful.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 15th, 2015, 02:32 PM

I did a drive from Edinburg up to the Scottish Highlands before. Favorite town was Skye. It was almost 2 decades ago, so not sure if it's still quaint and charming.
Old May 15th, 2015, 02:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
JC98: Skye isn't a town and isn't anywhere near where elizabeth is asking about.

elizabethG: Where do you have to drop it specifically? LHR? Stamford is a good option but it will be a good 6 hour drive. Neat town and the vast Rutland Water is on the doorstep. You could visit Burghley House the next morning and then have about 2-3 hours depending on traffic to LHR
Old May 15th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

I was looking into Burghley house, but 6 hrs might be a lot
I drop off at LHR
But we will leave Edinburgh on sunday am and
my flight is not until tueday midday so lets say Drive to Stamford on sunday
and then drive monday and get within stricking distance to LHR
I was thinking that our second night we can stay within 1 hr of LHR
I wast thinking either Windsor or Kinbury ?? not sure on that either .
Any sugestion on that too would be great
Old May 15th, 2015, 03:16 PM

Windsor is essentially AT LHR - about 7 miles. (where is Kinbury -- I'm not aware of such a place)

If it was me I'd probably push on to Stamford on Sunday (it is 6-ish hours but you could take most of the day and stop a couple of times for rest/food.

Monday AM you can visit Burghley (the grounds open early morning and the house at 11AM). Leave Burghley House by say 1:00 or 1:30PM and arrive at Windsor by 3:30 or 4:00 (or later if you stop along the way)
Old May 15th, 2015, 03:51 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
What about someplace in the Peak District? A pretty town like Bakewell is probably around 4 1/2 hours from Edinburgh. Maybe visit Chatsworth in the morning before heading to London.
Old May 15th, 2015, 06:46 PM

Bakewell/Chatsworth would be good. But it is a longer drive than 4.5 hours. More like 5.5 to 6, so more or less the same as Stamford.

Chatsworth to LHR takes a little longer (3.5 to 4 hours) than from Burghley to LHR (about 2-3 hours)

So either option is doable.
Old May 16th, 2015, 12:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know all three towns very well

Knaresborough, no it is best described as a dump
or
Stamford, interesting, a nice little town in the centre, I'd stay at the George but you want the rooms out the back not on the main street. The gardens down by the river are a great place for the kids to run around and then the next few streets to the North are good examples of Oxford/Stamford 1800s buildings. But there is nothing in town to do as such, you have to visit local attractions (but I suspect will just want to get over the drive)

Harrogate, sometimes described as the Bournmouth of the North, a town full of restaurants, shops and a lot of wealthy OAPs. While the Stray offers land to run around and the is a RHS garden on the outskirts again nothing wow, but again with the drive down exhaustion may be an issue. If the kids are fussy eaters you will always find something good to eat in town.
Old May 16th, 2015, 12:47 AM

Agree with the above about Knaresborough.

Stamford is often used as a backdrop for filming 'period' dramas and is a pleasant stop.

I lived in Harrogate for over 20 years. Another saying is 'There's Yorkshire and then there's Harrogate'.
Very nice gardens )Valley Gardens), small Museum etc. However your post mentions children and I can't see they would get a lot out of staying here. I also think you should aim to get further South.

Quite beyond me why anyone would suggest Skye!

Also worth noting that assuming you are driving down the A1, this route will be very busy very early. Don't think that an early start would avoid traffic. I drove from Junction 50 down to Leeds 3 mornings a week until recently and at 6.30am it was already heaving (but fast). Lots of lorries.
Old May 16th, 2015, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful insights
So for now it seems it's down to Stamford and visiting Burghley
Or Bakewell and visit Chatsworth.

If there are any other ideas out there I would be very appreciative -
Cheers -
Old May 16th, 2015, 04:34 AM

The gardens at Burghley are amazing - and a lot of fun for children!
http://www.burghley.co.uk/about-burg...-of-surprises/