dromoland castle or adare manor

Jan 8th, 2002, 12:23 PM
joe

dromoland castle or adare manor

Has anyone stayed at both/either Dromoland Castle and/or Adare Manor? Which one did you like the best? Why? Which one is the best for kids? While I am a golfer, I am not looking to golf for more than a day or so during my 10 day stay.So the golfing aspect of either is not important. What did you think of the restaurants at either place?

Jan 12th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Terri

My husband and I stayed at Dromoland in September 2000. We both loved it! There are a lot of paths for walking, and the gardens were beautiful, even in September. The staff was very courteous. We were upgraded to a suite because our room wasn't ready when we arrived. We didn't eat in the restaurant; just had a sandwich in the bar by the fireplace. Would go back again.

Jan 12th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Dottie

We just made reservations at Dromoland Castle. I am copying suggestions from "Ask Pat" an expert on Ireland.
Posted by PAT on January 08, 2002 at 15:09:45:

In Reply to: dromoland castle or adare manor posted by michael on January 08, 2002 at 15:00:25:

: I am having a hard time deciding on whether to stay at Dromoland Castle or Adare Manor. Both are listed in the Ireland Guide section of your website as Favorite Places to Stay and both look like fabulous places to stay. I know this might not be a fair question, but which place would you recommend staying.Is one better than the other for children (ages 11 and 9)? Are they both equally situated for exploring the Shannon area and County Clare and maybe making a day trip to Galway? I really enjoy your website and just ordered your Daytrips Ireland book. Can't wait to get it.

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your kind comments -- and for ordering my "Daytrips Ireland" book. I am sure you will find it helpful in planning your daily drives. I'll be on the lookout for your order.

Now for your delightful dilemma. Both hotels are 5-star properties with beautiful grounds. Only Dromoland is a real bona fide castle, however, with turrets and towers etc. - kids love that! Also, since you mention a base for touring Co. Clare and a daytrip to Galway, Dromoland would be better situated. Dromoland is also a short drive away from Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, a sure-fire delight for kids aged 9 and 11.

Have a great trip!

Jan 13th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Dave

We stayed at Dromoland a few years ago. It was a memorable experience. We had a regular room, but it was very big. The grounds were lovely. We had dinner there - very dressy and expensive, but worth it. We chose Dromoland rather than Adare because it was close to Shannon airport, and we were leaving the next day.

Jan 13th, 2002, 02:36 PM
sherry

My husband and I stayed at the Adare in June '96, and loved it. In fact, we cancelled the next place on our itinerary to spend more time at Adare. Fantastic room, grounds, etc. Definitely a place I'd love to return to.

Jan 14th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Lori

We stayed at the Lord and Lady's house at the top of the hill. Dromolond castle was sold out but we had dinner there. I liked the house on the hill, it was very sweet (much cheaper too!)
We stumbled on the most beautiful garden on that property!

Feb 6th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Robyn France

Greetings--I have stayed in both properties, and they are both incredibly lovely. I would say that Adare has the edge as the Gallery (a chapel moved from France to Adare) is a spectacular spot, there is a lovely pub in the castel and the town of Adare is one of the most beautiful in Ireland--with lovely shops and several restaurants. I highly recommend Adare for an unbeatable experience, all the while acknowledging that Dromoland is also very fine.

Robyn

Feb 7th, 2002, 05:01 AM
max

I would consider location since both properties are wonderful... Dromoland is closer to Shannon but isolated; you can't walk to any restaurants or stores as it is not located in a town. However, the staff wonderful and food outstanding, if expensive. We had exquisite meals there. Adare Manor is located in the village and there are alternatives for eating and shopping. If you don't mind packing up, I would suggest a few days at Dromoland with a side trip up to the Cliffs of Moher. Then down to Adare for side trips south.