Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Santorini-Perivolas vs. Katikies. Which is best?

Feb 5th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Kristi P.

We're going to Santorini for our honeymoon! I've read a lot about both properties, but which one is best? We're especially looking for three things: Private terrace, Beautiful views (higher the better), and location (closer to Oia center the better). Thanks so much (in advance) for any input!

Feb 5th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Sue

Hi,

I have only stayed at the Katikies and it was spectacular. It has an infinity pool that makes you think you can dive into the sea below. The rooms have antique furniture and we had a wonderful private terrace with THE VIEW. It is closer to Oia center. I think the Katikies has a room with its own private pool, but I am not sure.I have heard great things about the Perivolas so either one will be fabulous. I do not think you can miss.ENJOY!!

Feb 5th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Ray

Hello!

I've been to Ia in 1997, and let me tell you, youcan't go wrong with either (I actually stayed at the canves)! The most amazing place I've ever been (NO exageration!). Which is better? In terms of your "higher is better" category, I believe the Perivolas is at a higher elevation. The Kaitikes is at 100 metres (300 feet) and I think the Perivolas is 300 metres (1000 feet). I looked at thier web sites, but the Perivolas was not specific. Maybe someone out there knows better?

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Feb 5th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Maria

I vote for Katikies! I also know that Perivolas is great but Katikies is in a better spot right on the street whrere all the shops and restaurants are. I had a senior suite which apart from the main pool had a small private pool just in front of the room which was only for the senior suits. The view from the main pool is amazing, you can stay there the whole day! Any hotel you choose, I am sure that you are going to have a great time because Santorini is the most beautiful Greek island! I have beeh there five times and I will keep on going!!!! Have a nice honeymoon!!

Feb 6th, 2002, 06:22 AM
rita

Kristi, both of these hotels have been getting allot of posts lately. I have never stayed at Katikies so cannot comment but I have stayed at Perivolas three times. It is my favorite hotel in the world because of its views, service and ambience.

One of the nice things about Perivolas is the location -- it is just on the edge of Oia as you enter from Fira -- which means it is very quiet. There is no residual music from bars and tavernas that you would get if you were to stay in the town itself. It is about a 5minute walk into town on the cliffside cobblestone path. I would not worry about being directly in the centre of Oia as everything is very close and within walking distance.

If you are looking for beautiful views Santorini is the place for this and as long as you get a room overlooking the caldera you cannot go wrong. Perivolas has two houses that I would recommend: if you are looking for a very private balcony and a view out over the caldera I would recommend the house at the bottom of the property (ask for it specifically when you book); if you are looking for a really spectacular view then ask for the house at the top of the property, its balcony is one of the highest points in Oia and from there you look down over the Perivolas property and out over caldera. From this balcony you can also see over to Oia.

If you want any more specific information email me directly or post again.

Feb 6th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Kristi P.

Thank you very much for your replies!! Both properties sound great! I think I may choose Katikies simply because it seems to be in the city center.
But I must admit, I'm still confused!! Maybe I'll just roll the dice?

Feb 7th, 2002, 05:38 AM
rita

Kristi, I am not sure what you are expecting when you get to Oia because it is not a "city" and to say you would like to stay in the "city centre" is confusing. Oia is a small village (granted not as small as some other Greek villages) that you can walk from one end to the other in 15 to 20 minutes. The "centre" is a small cluster of homes, hotels, restaurants and shops that thin out the further you get from the end of the island.

If you are looking to literally walk out your door and see a restaurant or a bar then yes, the location of Katikes would suit your needs. But if you enjoy a short stroll into and from dinner then Perivolas would be more suitable. I hope that this clears up your confusion.