Does anyone know if it is possible to drive to Lake Maggiore (from England) avoiding the long road tunnels through the Alps? I will be travelling from England to Maggiore, via a stopover in Frankfurt. This would normally mean driving through Switzerland, but I could deviate to go through France (or Austria) if it allows me to avoid the long tunnels without adding too much time to my journey!
I have tried route maps with RAC, AA, Michelin etc but they only allow avoidance of motorways/tolls so all routes involve tunnels. I don't mind (short < 1km) tunnels but not those quite so long as through the Alp!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 https://www.seremolynbuy.com/lutrevia-youth-cream/
- 2 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 3 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 4 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 5 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 6 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 7 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 8 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 9 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 10 Paris November 2017
- 11 1 night in Algarve in January?
- 12 Sorrento to Montepulciano- where to rent car?
- 13 A very important question regarding pronunciation
- 14 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 15 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 16 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 17 Current plan for March trip
- 18 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 19 Spain in 2018
- 20 Rentals in Madrid , Spain-Select
- 21 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 22 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 23 First time in Spain
- 24 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 25 Schengen entry/exit stamps in Austria