Search

Driving to France with an unvaccinated 16yr old

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2021, 02:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving to France with an unvaccinated 16yr old

Morning Fodorites.

I am planning to drive to South France in two weeks time. The idea to drive stems from the fact of packed airports/planes and a general covid related anxiety. Both me & the mrs are double vaccinated here in the UK & have our Covid pass letters. However, my 16yr old is not vaccinated as yet (and wouldnt be by the time we travel).

Would someone please advise the latest update (along with a link to download & print ) because while ambafrance only mentions 1/ From Sunday 18 July (00.00 a.m.), if you have not been vaccinated you must present a negative PCR or antigen test less than 24 hours old to travel to French territory from the UK. (https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-r...nce-and-the-UK)

The Gov.uk says
Travellers who are not fully vaccinated will need to self-isolate for 7 days after arrival, then take another PCR test following this period of self-isolation.(https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements).

Whilst everyone has to fill up the self certification form , the unvaccinated ones have to submit a international travel certificate which shows a 'compelling reason' and a ' family holiday ' isnt classed as one. Does that mean that France does not allow 16year old unvaccinated members travelling with 2 fully vaccinated parents ?

The 7 day self isolation clause defeats the whole purpose. And this all only mentions air travel - no mention whatsoever for land based apart from hauliers.

Any help, more than appreciated. I might be looking at an outdated / incorrect source of information and hence the request.

Many thanks all.
Dharmesh.
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 07:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
People under the age of 18 are exempt from the pass sanitaire until 30 September.
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 08:31 PM

The gov.uk site has this to say about your 16 year old's situation
<<Children aged 12 years old or over who are travelling with a fully vaccinated adult are required to present a negative test result (PCR or antigen). However, they do not need to provide an essential reason for travel, nor do they need to self-isolate on arrival.>>

So looks like all you'll need is the test.
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kerouac
People under the age of 18 are exempt from the pass sanitaire until 30 September.
Many thanks, Kerouac. I did read that up after your message. That's one relief.
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seamus
The gov.uk site has this to say about your 16 year old's situation
<<Children aged 12 years old or over who are travelling with a fully vaccinated adult are required to present a negative test result (PCR or antigen). However, they do not need to provide an essential reason for travel, nor do they need to self-isolate on arrival.>>

So looks like all you'll need is the test.
That's a brilliant piece of news Seamus. Many thanks. Can I please request you to post the link here because I can't find that on the website at all. Maybe I am looking at the wrong page or something...Thanks a lot.
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DharmeshBuch
That's a brilliant piece of news Seamus. Many thanks. Can I please request you to post the link here because I can't find that on the website at all. Maybe I am looking at the wrong page or something...Thanks a lot.
PS:
Seamus, I have just found that information on the gov.uk website. However, it doesn't mirror on the French government website which causes concern. Thanks a lot.
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 03:00 AM

Airports and planes are the safest places to be right now. A road trip is far more problematic as it relates to COVID.
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 04:11 AM
J62

Originally Posted by shelemm
Airports and planes are the safest places to be right now. A road trip is far more problematic as it relates to COVID.
???
so it’s safer to be in a confined metal tube with 100 strangers breathing the same air than it is in your own vehicle with family?

I’d be interested to see the science behind that …
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 04:45 AM

FYI Dharmesh, just did Folkestone-Calais yesterday. Very easy and quiet, no queues. They asked to see proof of vaccination at French passport control, we showed them the app showing vaccination (one NHS and one EU) and that was fine.
Old Aug 16th, 2021, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by J62
???
so it’s safer to be in a confined metal tube with 100 strangers breathing the same air than it is in your own vehicle with family?

On a road trip you are never just staying in the car. So there is exposure outside as well. Just one overnight (each way) and extra meals out means plenty of exposure. The great thing about airports and planes is the mask mandate. Ever since the mask mandate, the chance of viral load is greatly reduced..... personally I double-mask for added safety.

And the air circulation on a plane is vastly more complex than what you make it out to be. In fact, it is an astonishing process. Here is a link to a NY Times article that goes into great depth. It does say there are risks to air travel (more in the airport than on the plane), but I personally feel far safer after having read the article.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...19-safety.html
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shelemm. I take your point and whilst the airports might be safer , I would not be comfortable on a flight that does not ask for a negative rt-pcr from all the flyers.
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 01:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shelemm. I take your point and whilst the airports might be safer , I would not be comfortable on a flight that does not ask for a negative rt-pcr from all the flyers.
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J62
???

Thanks J62, exactly my point. I would feel much more comfortable driving around. The risks of stopping, getting out etc are applicable on any mode of transport.
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tulips
FYI Dharmesh, just did Folkestone-Calais yesterday. Very easy and quiet, no queues. They asked to see proof of vaccination at French passport control, we showed them the app showing vaccination (one NHS and one EU) and that was fine.
Thanks Tulips , thats a great help. However given the time when we are looking to travel , I am sure it will be busier.
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

On a road trip you are never just staying in the car. So there is exposure outside as well. Just one overnight (each way) and extra meals out means plenty of exposure. The great thing about airports and planes is the mask mandate. Ever since the mask mandate, the chance of viral load is greatly reduced..... personally I double-mask for added safety.

And the air circulation on a plane is vastly more complex than what you make it out to be. In fact, it is an astonishing process. Here is a link to a NY Times article that goes into great depth. It does say there are risks to air travel (more in the airport than on the plane), but I personally feel far safer after having read the article.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...19-safety.html
True that , Shelemm. Both the points are in validation of the fact that flights are safe , or else we would not be seeing the increases in the number of flyers that we see these days. However, it is more to do with the anxiety level not only for myself but also the other family members travelling with me.
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 01:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the inputs. Greatly appreciated. However, we have decided to down the 'staycation' route this year rather than deal with anxieties and the slightly 'unknown' factor etc. A road trip to France is on the bucket list and we will hopefully get that done early next year.

Stay safe all.

Cheers.
Dharmesh
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 01:17 AM

That's probably a smart decision given how unknown the delta variant is. Our office has gone back to masking, and I have gone back to double masking (cloth mask on top of a surgical mask) which gives the wearer - not just the people around you - about 84% protection. I find it quite comfortable and sometimes forget I have it on. I feel very luck I managed to take my trip post-vaccination and pre-delta.