Reload this Page >

Driving to Cinque Terre

Search

Driving to Cinque Terre

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 03:56 PM
Sam

Driving to Cinque Terre

We're planning on driving from Siena to Cinque Terre and will be staying in Monterrosso (Hotel Pasquale). Any suggestions on the best route to take? Also, what should we expect with parking? Thanks for your insight.

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 05:57 PM
Kerry

Funnily enough I was only looking at this hotel yesterday. The following is cut from the hotel web site <BR> <BR>"From CARRODANO-LEVANTO (see map) follow signs to Levanto and Monterosso al mare. <BR>After Levanto follow signs uphill towards to Levanto an Monterosso al mare. After Levanto follow signs uphill towards Monterosso. At the top of the hill you will drive to a short tunnel. 400 meters after this turn downhill to the right, following signs for Monterossa-Fegina. The road winds downhill for 5 Km. to the town below. At the bottom of the hill park your car at the large car park (Lit.10.000 per day) on the seaward side of the sea front. Here take a cab (Lit.12.000) or walk to the old town for 700 meters until a short tunnel, Hotel Pasquale is at the other end on your left. " <BR> <BR>http://www.pasini.com/pasquale_car_train.html#car <BR> <BR>Personally, I liked the look of their sister hotel Villa Steno better. Rooms at the Pasquale looked a little dour. <BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 06:59 PM
Sam

Thanks Kerry. And I agree--the Villa Steno appears to be the more attractive of these two properties. But it is being renovated. Found out when I tried to make a reservation. That's how I ended up w/thw Albergo Pasquale. . . .

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 02:57 PM
SB

Anyone ever driven to Vernazza and what is the parking there cost???

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 03:09 AM
Don and Linda

<BR>Hello, <BR>We stayed at the Albergo Degli Amici in Monterosso during our trip to Cinque Terre in October 1996. You can read all about it in our travelogue at http://www.thetravelzine.com/italy3.htm <BR>Don and Linda <BR>http://www.TheTravelzine.com/zine.htm <BR>non-commercial <BR>

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 12:25 PM
John

Hi <BR> <BR>We made that trip back in '97. It was in March so I guess it was the "off season'. I went by way of La Spezia, which is one of the larger towns inthe area. The drive was not too bad going in (we stayed in Vernazza) however the parking was non-existant! I would check with the hotel. The other option is leaving the car in La Spezia abd taking the local train into the resort. <BR>JOHN

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 03:18 PM
Lesli

There is *NO* parking in Vernazza - a local I met last year told me he parks his car in Monterosso! You can park there or La Spezia, and hike or take the train from either town (frequent, cheap, and quick.)

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 04:10 PM
Ralphie

I was in CT recently, and unfortunately, there will be parking more parking in one of the villages soon. They were building a parking garage in Manarola. It looked like it wouldn't be a huge one, but in my mind it's a step toward ruining the charm of the cinque terre. <BR> <BR>I noticed that a couple of the towns had small parking lots too.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 05:22 PM
Bob

We stayed in Portovenere and parked at hotel. Took the bus from there to La Spezia and then took the train to tour the Cinque Terre. You can get a great one day tourist pass and ride the train to end of route, explore a little and then back track....getting on and off as you need. Made for a fun day and then bus back to Portovenere. Just an idea.