Search

driving times needed for Greece trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 12:12 PM
rmh
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving times needed for Greece trip

We are in the process of setting up the itinerary for our trip to Greece in Sept and I have found conflicting information regarding the time it takes to drive from one place to another. Could someone please confirm the time it takes to drive from Athens to Meteora, Athens to Napflio, Athens to Delphi. Thanks so much for your help.

RMH
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Via Michelin provides pretty good estimates of driving times.
In my experience it takes about two and a half hours from Athens Airport (where we picked up the rental car) to Naphlion. This doesn't include sightseeing stops. Sorry I havn't driven to the other two locations.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 02:01 PM
rmh
Original Poster

thanks for the via michelin tip. I had looked at a couple of places online but was getting varying estimates.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Via Michelin travel times assume you are going to travel straight through at maximum permissible speeds.

When I drive, I tend to drive slower, stop and explore when I see interesting views or quaint towns, stop for an ouzo or coffee, etc.

I have found increasing the Via Michelin driving times by 50-100% is more accurate for the way I travel.

"YMMV" ...
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Athens / Nafplio - yes about 2.5 hours, but the thing is, things happen in Greece, for example, you might get stuck behind a slow truck or bus or even a donkey. When we travel, we plan the entire day to get from one place to another, no matter if it is a two hour trip or 6 hour. It's always funny to see the Brits and Germans marching through villages looking for a taverna. Relax and take your time getting there!