Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving Time From Paris To Loire Valley - How Many Castles In One Day?

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 12:18 PM
Lori

My husband and I plan to drive from Paris to Gennes/Saumur in the Loire Valley, staying at "Le Prieure" Anyone been there? Along the way, we'd like to visit the castles of "Chenonceau," "Chambord," and possibly the gardens of "Villandry." We understand the trip will take 4 hours (not including time for siteseeing). Does this sound feasible to do in a day? How long will it take to reach the first of these castles (Chambord)? How much time should it take to tour each? Which castles are the best? Also, has anyone seen the Troglodyte Caves or done wine-tastings near Saumur?

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 01:45 PM
Bob

It has been a while since I have driven that distance, but it sounds reasonable. Chenonceau is not one of the larger chateaux, but it is certainly one of the most beautiful. You can easily spend an hour or hour and a half there touring the chateau, and wandering the gardens. Chambord has, I believe, 440 rooms, and though you won't see all of them, it can take quite a while to get around, view the magnificient intertwined staircases, view the area from the roof, etc. These two are relatively close together. Your three choices are excellent. As for wine tastings,there are aopportunities, and a lovely variety of wines. As for the caves, there are people who live in them, but I do not know if they are available for viewing. You should like the area - there is lots to see and enjoy!

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 02:46 PM
Lori

Hi Lori,
It's do-able. We've been to Chenonceau and Chambord (and even Cheverny) all on the same day. I did not pay attention too much to the driving as my husband's uncle was driving but we definately did go to all 3 one day. Another time we just visited Chambord & Chenonceau, which is the most beautiful of the chateaux I think. How much time you spend at each depends on your interest in them, the crowds at the time you are there (we had them virtually to ourselves on one visit), the weather (gardens are not alot of fun in the rain, etc.). I'd say minimum 2 hours tho.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 07:20 PM
Connie

Dear Lori,
About 4 years ago my daughter and I visited the Loire.Valley. Went to Chemonceau and Vallandry on the same day. Our car had a budget rental sticker on its bumper. I had our luggage in the trunk and when we got to Villandry I had to park in their secondary hedged lot down the road. After touring Villandry,we found our car had been broken into on the passenger's door . they pulled down the back seat and took all of our luggage. It was a hard lesson to learn to NEVER travel with anything valuable. The countryside is no safer than the city. I still enjoy France but with caution.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 07:28 PM
Connie

Dear Lori
About 4 years ago my daughte and I visited Chemonceau and Villandry on the same day. The lot directly across from the entrance to Villandry was full and I parked further down the road in another lot with a high hedge around it. After touring Villandry we returned to find our car had been broken into on the passenger's side. They pulled down the back seat and took everything out of our trunk. Our car had a budget rental sticker on its bumper perhaps helping the theives to identify tourists. Beware that you can be robbed in daylight even in the french countryside and NEVER travel with vauables. I learned the hard way. Bon Voyage.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 09:36 PM
Nancy

Lori, when my husband and I were in Paris last year we did a day trip from Paris to Chambord and Chenoceau. What a great day!! Chenoceau is absolutely stunning and don't forget to search around the grounds, what beautiful gardens. Chenoceau has their own wine cave and sells samples and bottles to the public. I'm looking at a bottle right now that I still have... Hope you have a great time!!! Nancy

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 04:42 AM
Claudia

If you are driving only to see Loire Valley IŽll sugest to take a TGV to Tours ( or another city )and rent a car there. The trip is beatifull and you can relax without drive.
I did it and could visit 3 Castles in the same day and after return to Paris.
I visit Chenonceau ( They have a cave there ) , Villandry and Azay-de-La-Rideau
I loved all of them.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 05:35 AM
Karen

Hi, Lori. My husband and I drove to the Loire Valley after Paris -- definitely doable. We stayed in a beautiful hotel which was a former chateau called Chateau de Chissay located in Montrichard near Chenonceaux, tel #(0)2.54.32.32.01. It was inexpensive for a four-star hotel and their restaurant was so good that we ate there two nights in a row. The hotel made us feel like we were transported back in time. It was very centrally located and allowed us to visit all of the major chateaux. We were able to visit two or three chateaux per day -- Chambord, Cheverny, Blois, Azay le Rideau, Amboise, Usse, Chinon, Chenonceaux are all relatively close. Didn't see Saumur but I've heard its worthwhile. Three days is enough in the Loire Valley. Enjoy!

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 08:19 AM
Kavey

Hi Lori

We drove from Noyon (north of France) to Saumur in August 1999 in about 5 hours including lunch stop. We did most of the trip on motorway, changing onto more local roads once we hit the Loire area as they were stunning, and empty enough to be almost as fast.

We spent a lot of those hours getting down to Paris, driving round the Paris peripherique and then out of Paris, so as you are starting in Paris itself you should find the journey time less than that.

I would add that you should not miss out Villandry. We didnt bother going inside as we were more interested in the gardens, and if you are seeing the other two chateaux on the same day you could do the same, the ticket for garden only is also less expensive though it isnt dear either way.

The drive itself, once on the road parallel to the Loire, was in itself a favourite experience, we were one of the only cars on the road, and could drive with our windows down, able to hear birdsong and not much else, and the views of the river glinting under the sun were breathtaking...

Have the best time, and allow yourself time to relax, I think it is a mistake to cram in too much and miss out on the tranquillity of the region.

Kavey