Driving through Bosnia

Search

Driving through Bosnia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving through Bosnia

Sorry to post 3 messages at once, but I'm trying to get everything covered. My guidebook says driving between Dubrovnik and Split is tough because of that Bosnian corridor, but on this forum a bunch of people seem to mention the drive... is it really a problem or no? Thank you so much for any help!
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:46 AM

I haven't done it yet, but we have been planning our trip to Croatia for this November and from what I researched the border should be pretty much a non-issue, just a passport check. I asked a similar question a few months ago, but it had more to do with the possibility of us driving to Mostar, in Bosnia. The general consensus was that the border checks were quick and painless and the roads were fine to drive on. Hopefully someone else can give you more info, so even if this doesn't answer your question, this post will be "topped".

Tracy
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM

We did this drive in the fall of 2004. I don't know if this is typical or not but when we got to the Bosnian border, there were a couple of guys in uniform sitting beside the little building smoking. They just waved to us to drive on and that was it. I don't recall the roads being any different or anything else remarkable about Bosnia on the coast road. We didn't go to Mostar.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 06:40 PM

DrKate: Absolutley no problem..you won't even know you're crossing borders..the corridor is only a short ride-through.
Stu T.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:01 AM

I did this last summer and was actually disappointed at how uneventful the border crossing was. No big deal at all.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Ok people, I am Croatian and live in Zagreb. There is absolutely no problems driving that route eccept if you drive on weekend in July and August. Than you might find yourself in a traffic jam among thousands of tourists traveling the adriatic coast road (it looks very similar to the traffic jam between St. tropez and St, Maxime or St. Raffael in France ) Near the sea, and the road passes though some touristic places where everybody is trying to cross the road in a swimmingsuite. Anyway beautiful scenery, so if you have an airconditioned car, no problem. (But I would always try to travel Monday-Thursday).
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Hey, thanks, everyone! It's a big relief not to have to worry about this anymore. I really appreciate your help.
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:12 PM

I am planning on a day trip from Dubrovnik to Mostar. How long a drive is it?
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:10 AM

I read that, by bus, it takes 1 1/2 hours to get to Mostar, from Dubrovnik. By car might be less. I am spending two nights there in September.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Hi, I'm just bumping this thread to see if there are any recent experiences? We will be driving from Dubrovnik to Drevnik this September, which means we have to go through Bosnia's corridor. We both have US passports. Any problems with a quick drive through?

Thanks!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:16 AM

When we drove the route from Dubrovnik to Zagreb there wasn't a passport check when you entered Bosnia. Actually, there's not any signs at all to let you know that you are even in Bosnia. It was extremely uneventful.

Tracy
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM

We drove from Split to Dubrovnik and
we were waved on thru. We took a bus
tour to Bosnia from Dubrovnik and after
we had crossed the border, there was
a border check and we had our passports
stamped.
We really wanted to go to Montenegro, but
was advised against it. I found out
later that it was perfectly o.k. to go.
I'm still bummed about it.
We traveled in early May so there
wasn't a lot of traffic.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:54 AM

We did get our passports stamped when we entered Bosnia from Dubrovnik, but we did this in a small town not too far from Dubrovnik. We also got passport stamps when we visited Montenegro, although the stamps only says the name of the region and not Montenegro itself. Traveling through Bosnia and Montenegro isn't at all difficult.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:04 AM

If driving from zagreb to dubrovnik or split, considering traffic, road conditions, and scenery, would it make more sense to drive through Bosnia, or to just drive through Croatia? We've got a trip planned next week (arriving in Zagreb, we plan to spend a bit of time seeing 'stuff', and lots of time on the coast - not sure where yet! Dubrovnik/Split or Trogir probable).
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:24 AM

The drive between Split and Dubrovnik is spectacular and not to be missed, imo. One gorgeous view after another!

However, with that being said, I do understand that there has been some road construction on that route and have heard that it makes the drive painfully long. You may want to do some searches on this board for other Croatia posts to see if you can find any updates.

Enjoy Croatia...its a gorgeous country!

Tracy
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 07:33 PM

DrKate:

I hope you get to see Plitvice Lakes...great scenery (Nat'l Park)..between Zag and Split.

Sad to recall my first visit to Yugoslavia in the early 80's...we thought the bridge at Mostar ("old Bridge&quot was a spectacular sight...But after it was destroyed in the war, wife and I were very upset....we had hopes it would be rebuilt to specs. Visited again a few years back and it was great to see it standing there again.
Enjoy your visit.

Stu T.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 02:40 PM

A great website that links to luxury/ecotravel destinations in "off the beaten track places" is ArcticTropic. Go to http://www.arctictropic.com and click on Europe. Scroll down to Bosnia,Croatia or Slovenia and several of great destinations come up in each country -taking you direct to their website and showing their locations on Google Earth !
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Driving thru the Bosnian section is no problem. Just get in the transit lane and you don't even have to stop. That's on the autostrata.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 01:29 PM

to all:

Just saw "The Hunting Party" last night, with Richard Gere, Terrence Howard...a very fine depiction of the horrors that occured in Bosnia during the ethnic cleansing genocide in the 90's...however, to the credit of the author and the director, the movie (based on a true story of a wild search for a Serbian war criminal.. by three journalists) added some diabolical dark humor that at times was hilarious, even in the face of the terrible deeds perpetrated by all sides. The characterization is handled deftly.

The scenes of Sarajevo and all of Bosnia, incluing villages now in Serbia and Bosnia, is well worth seeing if you've either been there before or are planning to go. It's a few hours of intense entertainment...Gere was never better.

Enjoy!

Stu T.

p.s there is a scene that happens to show the Holiday Inn in Sarajevo, mustard colored and maroon..a most ugly buidling which we saw being primped up for the 1984 Winter Olympics while we stayed at the old, rundown Europa Hotel. Indeed, the entire city seemed to be working on the city's massive beautification projects...it was October '83, and the Olympics were scheduled for February '84...several years before all hell broke loose throughout the region.

Stu T.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Stu, thanks for the suggestion! I think I may just rent it! I'm taking a class on war and terrorism that will focus on Bosnia in the 90s in the next few weeks so I already have it on my mine. The movie sounds interesting!

Tracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -