Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

driving sorrento - orvieto --what's worth a stop?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Sorrento for 4 nights and so will have seen much of the surrounding area via public transport. But then we'll rent a car and our reservation that night is in Orvieto. I figured we'd take most of the day getting there. Wondering where would be nice to stop for lunch?

We'll be in Orvieto 2 nights, then Monteriggioni 2 nights, so will be exploring that area as much as we can in 4 days, then back down to Rome, drop car and spend 4 nights.

Given this, what should we do on the day we leave Sorrento at 10 am, by car, and are spending the night in Orvieto?

Thanks!
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:30 PM

Hello murphy, during one trip to Italy we took the same exact route. I am almost certain that some where along the route we needed gasoline and consequently had lunch at one of the Auto Grills. Not much help I know. We just wanted to get to Orvieto which is such a lovely city. I don't remember the car trip taking most of the day, but I could be wrong. Anyway I hope you have a lovely time in Italy and hopefully some other Fodorite can give you a good suggestion for somewhere special to have lunch.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:36 AM

murphy,

One thing I've wanted to see, but haven't made it to yet, is Caserta, the "Italian Versailles". It's only about 40 minutes outside Naples (going north). Friends who lived in Italy for a couple years tell me it's very impressive, but not many visit. It was built by France's Charles the IV (I think I have that right) to help put his stamp on the part of Italy he ruled at the time.

You'll love Orvieto, be sure to do the underground cave tour and drive over to Civita di Bagnoreggio for a short visit. Beautiful! And, don't forget to try some Orvieto Classico, lovely white wine.

Buon viaggio!
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:43 AM

The only diversion worth your time is Tivoli, but it is about :30 off the bypas around Rome. If lunch is all you want then the Autogrill is fine.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:29 AM

We did the trip in reverse - Orvieto to the Amalfi Coast with an overnight stay in Caserta. Let me second the suggestion about visiting the Royal Palace and Gardens. Simply stunning! Or if you want to get off the autostada for a scenic drive, get off at S3 and head to Narni. A charming hilltop village with a few restaurants. And the remains of a Roman bridge. Or even a little farther down the road is the Roman era waterfall, Cascata d. Marmore if you want an outdoor adventure. (But check the schedule so you're there when the water is running.)