driving/paradors

Search

driving/paradors

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving/paradors

We'll be flying into Madrid, renting a car, staying at paradors. We have no plan yet, no reservations, except our flights. We arrive in Madrid on March 14th and will stay for 5 nights. By "we" I mean my husband and me and our 14yo daughter.

My husband and I have been to Seville years ago, but haven't been anywhere else in Spain. First time trip to Spain for my daughter. We would prefer to see one area in detail rather than trying to cram everything in one short week. My daughter especially likes castles.

We are comfortable driving, but would consider public transportation if that was easier. I usually am able to do some research before plunging into a trip, but this opportunity arose at the last minute and we are going to have to wing it.

I've been reading previous messages and found the parador website - with decent deal for 5 nights stay. Any ideas on a good driving itinerary? We'd be comfortable driving up to 150 miles/day if the scenery or destination merit it.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:00 PM

Have you check out availability of the paradors? Some of the popular ones sell out 6 to 8 months in advance.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:05 PM

You should definitely rent a car. Paradors tend to be in smaller cities that are often less served by rail or bus.

Since your daughter loves castles, I would highly recommend the Parador in Alarcon. It is in an incredible 8th century castle. The town itself is very small, but very pictureque. Be sure to request a room in the keep.

As for a driving itinerary, you could visit Alarcon touring a few of the paradors that ring Madrid.

I'd recommend starting in Toledo. The parador there is modern, but has amazing views of the city. What the parador lacks in character is more than made up for by the city itself. From the Madrid Airport, it is about 1 hour to Toledo. If you started here, I'd recommend two nights in the parador.

The drive to Alarcon is about 3 hours. You should be able to see the town and enjoy the parador by spending one night.

From Alarcon, it is a short drive (about 1 1/2 hours ) to Cuenca. The parador is in a 16th centry convent and again has great views of the city. I particular, you'll have great views of the famous "hanging houses." One night
would probably be sufficient.

Finally, spend the last night in another castle -- Siguenza. Figure about 3 hours from Cuenca. The parador is a 12th century castle. Also, the town itself has a lot to see.

The drive from Siguenza back to Barajas is about 1 1/2 hours.

-- Chad
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Brilliant suggestions especially about the reservations.

Careful with the long drives and your teen...sure your on top of that.
Request a car with a cassette player for you and hubby or for your teen.

Have a wonderful time!

Oaktown Traveler
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 02:16 PM

My favorite parador to date is the one at Leon, for the building, the rooms, and for the incredible meal we had.

Although I love Seville, I'm not sure that I didn't enjoy our driving tour in the north of Spain even more than the one we did in the South of Spain.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. Chad, we are following your suggestions for paradors. We lucked out with our reservations and got everything we asked for. Need to rent the car and we're all set. THANKS EVERYONE!! JCS
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Glad I could help. Enjoy your trip. Be sure to post a trip report when you get back!!

-- Chad