Driving Northern Italy & Austria in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posed this question another way in another message, but my travel companion is concerned about icy road conditions in the Cortina to Salzburg area. Our original plan was to leave Venice and head north through Cortina and surrounding areas and on to Salzburg. What, if any, roads would be closed due to snow or ice in mid-to-late March? I assumed since Cortina and the Dolomites were such hot ski areas, there should be fairly clear roads. (I should mention, my travel companion is from South America, so snow is a scary oddity to him.)
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Maira

We drove thru the Dolomites enroute to Innsbruck (via Trento-Bolzano) from Padova. At the time, there was some road construction going on and we had to take a narrow, windy road thru the mountains. It was early May 1994, and let me just say.... YIKES! The only thing that helped keep my sanity thru that trip was full confidence on my husband's abilities to drive the windy, shear drops that we encountered. NO way whatsoever he would have gotten me on that road under icy conditions. The good news is I believe there is a new road since and I am sure if the road is in any way dangerous, they would close it. Just guess-timate three times the amount of time it would take during good weather and stay on populated roads as much you can. If you can e-mail some of the resorts ahead of time and get a sense of the road conditions. Also, think about splitting the trip and driving when the temperatures, daylight, and roads are more transited. Just exert caution and be flexible. Have an enjoyable and safe trip!

Old Oct 11th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Maira

Atlanta--- your question hit close to my heart; I guess because I've been there and it wasn't pretty (or may be it was and I was to scared to notice....). I went to the viamichelin.com European Roads Planner and they are actually sending you to Salzburg (from Mestre) via Trieste-- Palmanova-- Udine, Tarvisio-- Villach-- Salzburg. According to their site, this would take you 4-5 hours (???).

Has anybody done this route? BOB? David?, NED? Patrick?