Reload this Page >

driving north along costa brava

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 05:33 PM
jamelle

we are planning a trrip to Madrid, hop on a train to Barcelona, tour this city for a couple of days. Then we would take a car & drive north along Costa Brava. Any helpful hints on places to see & stay along the way? <BR>Thank you!

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Capo

I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Cadaques, a small whitewashed fishing village, which I think is fairly close to the Spanish/French border. (Dali lived there for a few years.) And there's a French town close to the border called Coulliere (sp?) which is also supposed to be very nice.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 04:33 AM
lynn

Hi Jamelle: <BR>I'm not sure what you like to do but if you're looking for some beautiful coastal drives try the one between Tossa de Mar and St Feliu de guixols it's breathtaking. Stop in Tossa for a night or two if you have time. It's a pretty little place with a 14c walled town. Other towns to take in for their interest are perhaps Pals (although prettified by all the yuppies buying up property its still of interest), Empuries a very well done excavation of Iberian, Greek and Romans who also were interested in the area; nearby this the little village of St Marti with an amazing beach and some neat little restaurants to stop in for lunch; Cadaques certainly as the former poster mentioned but also take the few minutes to travel even further along the coast to Port Lligat where you can visit Dali's home and if you like his art, his castle is wonderful and not too far from the coast at Pubol. Inland try Girona, a beautiful medieval town , Besalu (also a medieval town but not prettified like Pals), . Try the drive through the Serra de Montseny for beautiful scenery or through the Garrotxa for equal beauty through an area of extinct volcanoes. Whatever you do it's all wonderful. The Insight compact guide to Costa Brava is great for this area. <BR>If you have any further questions feel free to email me. <BR>We have "done" this area extensively and there's so much more.......... <BR>regards, <BR>Lynn

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 04:35 AM
lynn

Hi Jamelle: <BR>I'm not sure what you like to do but if you're looking for some beautiful coastal drives try the one between Tossa de Mar and St Feliu de guixols it's breathtaking. Stop in Tossa for a night or two if you have time. It's a pretty little place with a 14c walled town. Other towns to take in for their interest are perhaps Pals (although prettified by all the yuppies buying up property its still of interest), Empuries a very well done excavation of Iberian, Greek and Romans who also were interested in the area; nearby this the little village of St Marti with an amazing beach and some neat little restaurants to stop in for lunch; Cadaques certainly as the former poster mentioned but also take the few minutes to travel even further along the coast to Port Lligat where you can visit Dali's home and if you like his art, his castle is wonderful and not too far from the coast at Pubol. Inland try Girona, a beautiful medieval town , Besalu (also a medieval town but not prettified like Pals), . Try the drive through the Serra de Montseny for beautiful scenery or through the Garrotxa for equal beauty through an area of extinct volcanoes. Whatever you do it's all wonderful. The Insight compact guide to Costa Brava is great for this area. <BR>If you have any further questions feel free to email me. <BR>We have "done" this area extensively and there's so much more.......... <BR>regards, <BR>Lynn

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 07:25 AM
lynn

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Micaela

I strongly believe (I am biased as I am from Spain -- now live in New York) that the drive from Barcelona up the coast is one of the most beautiful in Spain, if not the world! Spend one evening in Tossa and try to stay at the Hotel Reymar. Ask for a room that faces the sea and at night you will enjoy the beautiful site of a 12th century castle lit up like a magical jewel. I get the chills just thinking about it. I try to make it there once a year just for that experience. Have a wonderful time!!

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Gigi

Hello, Jamelle, <BR>We drove the Costa Brava last year at this time. All the previous posts seem to be consistent with what we liked as well, so, the only thing I have to add is Frommer's book, Spain's Best-Loved Driving Tours. We used his book quite a lot. <BR>I'm sure you will have a wonderful time! <BR>Gigi

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 04:41 PM
lynn

Oh my God I must look stupid .......I kept trying to enter my post this morning and it told me it wasn't accepting it so I just kept trying...... <BR>So you got three of my long winded answer. Sorry. <BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Pedro

Some suggestions: <BR> <BR>Cadaqués, Tossa, Pals, Ullastret, Calella. These are some of the most interesting towns in the area. <BR> <BR>The Old Monastery of San Pedro de Roda. (dramatic ruins, beautiful views, among Cadaques and Rosas. ) <BR> <BR>Botanic Garden of Mar i Murtra in Blanes. <BR> <BR>Ampurias, old ruins by the sea <BR> <BR>In France, Collioure <BR> <BR>To stay maybe Tossa, also Parador de Aiguablava or if you are not concerned about your budget, both outstanding hotels in S´Agaro. <BR>