Reload this Page >

Driving Milan to Florence...need suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 01:08 PM
Mary

Hi all, <BR> <BR>My husband & I are spending 3 glorious weeks in Italy this summer. We will be flying into Milan but are headed to Firenze/Tuscany. We were going to take a train but now thought about driving. Has anyone ever drove from Milan to Tuscany? How long approx.? Straight road or not? Any and all recommendations are appreciated. Also, we will be staying in Greve in Chianti. How long is this destination from Firenze? <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR> <BR>Mary

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 03:23 PM
Paulo

With normal traffic, the drive from the Malpensa Airport to Greve in Tuscany is around 4/4:30 hours. If you're leaving from downtown Milan it's about the same. The route you'd be taking is divided Autostrada till you get to Florence (a piece of cake, just look for the A1 and Florence signs). <BR> <BR>The drive from Greve into the old town of Florence should take 40-45 minutes. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Dona

Mary, <BR> <BR>The autostrada A1 links Milan with Florence. I don't know your schedule, but there are so many interesting towns that you will pass along the way: Parma, Modena, Bologna to name just a few. <BR> <BR>As for the driving, I love driving in Italy - just stay to the right except to pass, and you'll be fine. It's fast but organized... <BR> <BR>Have a fabulous 3 weeks. <BR> <BR>Envious Dona

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 10:17 AM
kam

Agree with Paolo that Florence to Greve should take under an hour. If you come straight on the A1 autostrada, from Bologna to Florence is very pretty as it goes over the mountains. It would be a shame not to stop for a while at some point. My suggestion would be a quick visit to the historic center of Bologna with a good lunch. Are you planning to do this drive immediately following a flight from the U.S.? If so, I wouldn't be sharp enough to try it and would want to stay somewhere along the way. For that, I think I would choose a night in Parma, again with a wonderful dinner. Enjoy.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 05:51 PM
Mary

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I have much to think about. We dont' mind driving in Italy but I must consider driving immediately after a flight from the US. We might opt for the train or take your advice re: overnight in Parma, Bologna, etc. Also, would you have any additional thoughts/comments re: my following dilemma. We planned to stay in Chianti Greve 7 nights with a day trip or two to Florence. Now I was contemplating staying in Tuscany for only 5 nights and staying in Florence for 2 to avoid the commute back & forth. Any recommendations? I have visited Florence previously - it is my favorite!! But I heard Tuscany is also relaxing & a nice respite from the crowds in Florence. What would you do????

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 06:24 PM
LEE

Mary: We just returned from a wonderful stay in a villa near Castellina in Chianti. We picked up a car in Milan and drove the four to five hours to Tuscany and to our villa. You must have a car in Tuscany in order to visit all the great little places in the area such as San Gimignano, Volterra, Greve, Monteriggioni, Colle di val d' Elsa, etc. <BR> <BR>We stayed out of Florence (saw it on a different trip two years ago) and concentrated on the "little" towns. <BR> <BR>Here are some great places to eat: <BR> <BR>1. Ristorante Le Vigne - Radda <BR>2. Antica Trattoria La Torre - Castellina <BR>3. Ristorante Vignale - Radda <BR>4. Osteria Alla Piazza - La Piazza <BR> <BR>All of these places served great food. <BR> <BR>We had a wonderful time and I am sure that you will really enjoy your trip.