Driving in Turkey

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:03 AM
brownie

Driving in Turkey

Hi,

I'm in the midst of making plans for our visit to Turkey in may.

My question is about driving around in Turkey. I've heard contradictory opinions on it - that there are no rules and road rage is rampant as oppose to Patrick's story on this board.

Can anyone who has been there help? I haven't been there before.

Thanks.

Dary.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Al

Others may have different opinions, but our experience in Turkey has been quite good. In towns and cities, drive defensively. Turks tend to use their horns a lot. On the open road, beware that much of the land is open range with livestock sometimes wandering about. But by and large, Turks are no better and no worse than most drivers --it is best to be careful, especially on two-lane blacktop, the majority of the country's roads system. We have found their large combined gasoline service stations and restaurants among the best and cleanest anywhere.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 05:58 PM
John

Hi Dary
I was in Turkey in June last year and going back again this year.
Driving in Turkey is no problem at all as long as you keep your wits about you.
I suggest that you avoid driving in Istanbul during peak times. Other times are ok as long as you are not nervous and make sure you know where you are going.
Outside Istanbul I found it to be an enjoyable experience.
As for rules they certainly do have rules but like aussies they also ignore them
And yes they also have radar.
Enjoy your visit.
If you want more info send me an email.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 04:14 AM
Paulo

Like Al and John, we had no problems a tall driving in Turkey. As Al points out, livestock may indeed be wandering around occasionally but not a big deal if one's paying due attention.

Paulo

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:47 AM
Mehmet Dervis

Dear Dary,

Driving in Turkey can be a very serious problem, if you start driving the way WE do. So drive DEFENSIVELY on the open roads, do NOT DRIVE in big cities like in Istanbul unless you are coming in or getting out of it. Don't dare other drivers on the road as they can get upset and be nasty sometimes. Other than that you will be alright. Hope you have nice holiday and fell feel free to contact if you need help [email protected] Mehmet dervis