Reload this Page >

OPERA AND ART INFORMATION!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Gloria

I regularly get email requests asking about the Opera schedule in Europe and The US. Here are a couple of websites that I visit on a regular basis and find them very helpful: <BR> <BR>http://www.operabase.com/en/ <BR>http://www.operanews.com <BR>http://culturekiosque.com (features information on Art Exhibits as well as Opera) <BR> <BR>OperaNews is a great magazine that offers reviews, schedules, and features many Opera Houses. May of 1999 featured Eastern Europe with articles on Prague, Warsaw, Budapest and more! It has well written articles that are rich in historical detail as well as sumptious pictures. It also has ideas for accomodations, and restaurants, as well as how to obtain tickets. <BR> <BR>When in Vienna, a couple of weeks ago, we saw Lohengrin, and La Boheme in Prague! Both were lovely productions! And, as a real treat, I found a pair of 90 to 100 year old Mother of Pearl opera glasses at the Naschmarket! They are one of my most prized souvenirs!! <BR>Enjoy! <BR>Gloria

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Allan

Thanks for the website information. <BR> <BR>We subscribe to OperaNews as well. I find it to be very useful in our trip planning. I have missed many fine operas as I didn't know the schedule. <BR> <BR>I am going to look at the website you named that offers listings of the new exhibits. Appreciate it! <BR> <BR>Congrats on the opera glasses, sounds like a "find". Are they from the FranzJosef era? Sounds like it. <BR> <BR>Did you like The Lohengrin? How wonderful to hear it in Vienna!

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Al

Saw this today and looked up the websites. The operabase site is terrific. Take a look, they have synopsis available as well as schedules of all the opera houses. <BR>Thank you, Gloria

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 05:30 AM
Gloria

You are welcome, Allan. <BR>I also like the Operabase website. Getting the schedules before you plan your trip dates is great. I missed La Boheme in Paris, London, New York...anyway, you get the picture. Finally, after 6 attempts to see one of my favorite operas, we did see La Boheme in Prague. <BR>I suppose my opera glasses are from the Franz Jesef era. I went online to determine the date of production and am still working on that. The manufacturer is listed as well as a number. We did venture out to locate the shop they were sold in as the address was inside the case. They were long gone, but, the shop next door remembered the shop we were looking for. <BR>Are you going to any opera in particular? <BR>Gloria <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 01:59 AM
Thomas

We just wanted you to know that we booked out tickets for Don Giovanni using the Operabase website. <BR>Thank you for putting this information online for us. <BR>What did you think of Lohengrin? <BR>