Driving in Sicily

Mar 31st, 2012, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Driving in Sicily

My husband and i will be driving through Sicily next week and stopping in several cities for a few days each. However, on the way from cefalu to Siracusa we would like to stop at Piazza Armerina, but we will have luggage in the car....we have read that you should never leave anything at all in the car unattneded- locked or not - I would hate to miss this area but wonder if there is any secure place to leave a car? This will also be the case near Argrigento...... Any suggestions? Thank you!
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:06 PM

Back up the car against a wall or tree so that access to the trunk is not easy. The parking lots for the Roman mosaics outside Piazza Armerina and for Agrigento are not in common public areas similar to parking in the street. Keeping the luggage in the trunk should be sufficient.
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:32 PM

I left luggage in my car in Sicily in the trunk, where everything was concealed. Anywhere you travel with a rental car, it is best not to leave things visible inside the car that indicate you are a traveler -- maps, guidebooks, extra sweaters, etc. In particular, if you are using a GPS, don't leave it or any of its mountings or cables visible. Take them with you, and take with you any computers or anything else that it would ruin your trip to lose.

I sometimes joke with people just to leave an Italian newspaper and a pack of cigarettes on the dash.

In addition to backing the car against a tree or wall if you can, park outside a bar or any other place with people hanging about.

But I have never heard reports of people having their rental cars broken into. Doesn't mean it has never happened or that you shouldn't take precautions. But if was a common occurrence, like pickpocketing in Rome or Barcelona is, you'd hear plenty of traveler talk about it.
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:36 PM

PS: Maybe I should add that I have never been in Piazza Amerina specifically, so if the warning you read was specifically for that location, then you might want to see if you can locate secure parking. Ask over on the TripAdvisor message board, where Sicilian residents regularly post.
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions! Thank you!
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:35 AM

I tell people if they do not want to look like a tourist in NYC, carry toilet paper in a Duane Reade (drugstore chain) bag. Either you a NY'er or a tourist with a very bad problem that no one wants to deal with.

Search this Thread