Car Rental in Sicily - lots of theft?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2009, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be renting a car in Sicily and I have read about luggage being stolen out of car rentals. Is this over-blown? If it is true, how do you avoid car break ins? We will be stopping at sights along the way to a few destinations with luggage in the back of what will most likely be a hatch back. What, if anything, can be done to avoid luggage being stolen from our rental car?

Thank you.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
The best thing is to rent a car with a lockable trunk - so skip the hatches & pay a bit more. We had a Passat that served us well. We saw no evidence of car theft/breakins but it can happen anywhere/anytime. I had a rental in Montreal last March that suffered a smash & grab. They got my briefcase & both of my passports. It was an SUV . . .

Ian
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 01:32 AM

Hi Dolce - I second Ian's suggestion - a lockable trunk is a must.

Never leave anything visible.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 01:56 PM

We rented two cars in Sicily, from Palermo - one Fiat and one Nissan. While visiting the Vindicari Nature Reserve enroute to next destination we parked our cars in a public carpark, everything locked in the boot, not visible and in broad daylight, everything was stolen out of the Fiat. This apparently had happened two weeks prior. The local police were helpful as was the owner of the café next to the carpark but not sure if they were part of it. I would never leave anything in the cars at all and would plan my trip differently. It was an enormous hassle! We lost everything except our passports and credit cards which we had with us.We were in the middle of a seven week holiday and this definitely took the shine off.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 02:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a number of schools of thought about this, depending very much I suspect on one's own experience.

We rented a car in Catania last year and drove round with our luggage, often stopping at places we wanted to see with the luggage in the back and had no problems at all. However we did not do so in large cities [ I wouldn't have done that in Catania or Palermo] nor at tourist hotspots or out of the way places. We deliberately stayed overnight near the Villa Casale for example so that we didn't have to park there with the luggage in the back, though having now been there and seen how busy and exposed the car park is, I doubt very much that one's possessions are in very much danger.

And I can see that an experience like Linda's would definitely change one's behaviour.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 03:26 PM

No doubt the OP did not realize beforehand that the Vendicari Reserve parking is somewhat isolated, and there are few people around, perhaps busier in the middle of summer but that is one location where I would not leave my luggage in the car.

Sorry this happened to you, LindaBaxter.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 06:13 PM

Just depends on your risk tolerance. I had a rental car for o days on a 3.5 week trip. I planned my intinerary so that I minimized having to park anywhere with luggage in the covered hatchback.

I did take a calculated risk twice. At the lot at the Vendicari Nature Preserve and at Caltagirone. I took all valuables with me. If I had lost my clothes and shoes it would have been a disaster for me since I have nearly impossible to fit feet! Fortunately, it worked out, but I did have to weigh the decision.

its not all that hard to plan an itinerary that allows yiu toleave your luggage at your lodging, but it does mean more 1 nighters.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 06:14 PM

Argh. Make that 9 days with a rental and please excuse the typos.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 06:24 PM

I have a very low tolerance for risk, and have rewritten my Sicily itinerary so that we aren't making any stops with luggage in the car.