Driving in Portugal guide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Portugal in January for 8 days. As we arrive in Lisbon, we would like to rent a car and drive to Coimbra, and stay there for two nights. We arrive in late afternoon, around 5 pm. then we will drive to Porto, and base there to explore the region for two nights. Ont he third day we will head to Lisbon, where we will drop the car, and use train to visit Estoril, Sintra, and Setubal. Somewhere in the forum I read that the road direction in Portugal are not very helpful, even to the veterans. So, my question is follows. Which guide book has the best maps. We will buy a map of Portugal, but would like to have a back up to help.

Has anyone stayed in the following hotels?

Coimbra: Hotel Astoria or Tivoli-Coimbra
Porto: Hotel D. Henrique, or Grande Hotel do Porto
Lisbon: VIP Eden, in Baixa.

And last

what are average rate for parking 24 hours, and the price of gas compared to the US?

Thank you for your help.

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 04:30 AM

Here's my 2 cents worth...

Driving on the tollways in Portugal was easy. The secondary roads and narrow city streets were more challenging. Are you experienced with this type of driving?

Do you really want to step off a lengthy flight and face such a drive when jet-lagged?

Does it matter to you that you will be driving at night time (given the time of year and your time of landing)?

Personally, I would not do it. I'd wait until the next day.

I didn't find the maps or directions in any guide book to be that helpful. We had a VERY detailed Michelin map and I also printed off directions from the viamichelin website.

I don't remember for sure, but I think gas was just under $1 per liter.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

xxx

Thanks a lot for such detailed response. Can you help me further?

Our family did twice RV trip in Europe. 3 years ago we flew into Paris in Dec. and drove to Mont Saint Michel. so, I guess we are used to driving a manual car in Europe at night, after long flight.

My questions are:

1) How far would it be from Lisbon to Porto or Coimbra?

2) How does the toll fee compare to the French?

3)Which guide book did you use? Not for the map, but for other things: hotel, dining, sightseeing, etc.

4) did you visit any of the places I mention, if yes, which hotels would you recommned.

Thank you again for your recommentdations
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 09:31 AM

Given your driving "qualifications," you're already braver than I!!

Lisbon to Coimbra would be about 100-125 miles with an additional 75 to Porto--I'd double check those though, I'm just trying to rememember!

Have not yet been to France, can't compare. Regarding gas--there is a website on which you can get current prices. I found it on Fodors--perhaps you can find it with the search or repost. I can't remember it.

I read, and used bits and pieces of, Fodors, Frommers, Rick Steves and the Eyewitness Guide. I bought Fodors (but truthfully, was a little disappointed in it) and copied pages from the rest. The Eyewitness Guide was my favorite to read because it had so many pictures. Of course, I did alot of internet reading as well. I found helpful information and reports here.

We were in the some of the same areas as you are mentioning, but opted for smaller towns and passed on Coimbra and Porto. In Sintra, we stayed at Casa Miradouro (I would rec. it). In Lisbon at the Comfort Inn on Campo Grande--it was ok. I took it for the price. Depending on your budget, the Pousadas are wonderful and I thought, reasonably priced for how nice they were (except the Castle Pousada in Obidos). With January being off-season, you certainly might get some reasonable prices or specials.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 10:12 PM
cindiloowho

Actuially, we have driven Portugal many times, as recently as November. The roads, we find, are very good, and the map they give you at Avis (for example) is adequate. Or go to any book store and get a good one. Signs are very good, albeit don't always give much warning of approaching exit. Thus, if unsure, stay in the right and drive more slowly. They often have up to three lanes and each is posted for the 'minimum' speed. Woe to anyone who disallows this. Passing on left, but immediately back in your own lane. They drive pretty fast, but very predictably, we found, and most speak English. One of the easiest places inEurope for driving. Hint: most rental autos are stick shift. (automatics are available at a higher price, and less choice) We drove a Ford Focus and an Audi A-4, both nice little cars. Happy driving...we love Portugal.

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 11:56 PM

We had a car for three weeks in the summer of 2000, and despite reports to the contrary, found driving in Portugal quite comfortable compared to, say, the south of France and the Italian Alps, and the Michelin maps reliable. The most difficulty was encountered in the coastal towns of the Algarve where there are many one-way streets that made navigation a problem - but you are not heading that way. I would not hesitate to travel to all those places you have mentioned by car.

Harzer
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:20 PM

The toll roads in Portugal are well marked and easy to drive. They drive fast but not recklessly. However, secondary road are not marked as you?d expect. Signs seldom show the highway number but a list of towns for that direction. It is helpful to remember some of the names of major towns in your direction even if you are not heading to one of these.

Crossing the country east to west on toll costs about 10 euro, from Lisbon to Ostendo cost about 5 euro. Gas costs twice compared to the States, roughly 4 dollars per gallon. I don?t remember well but an underground parking in downtown Lisbon cost two euros per hour while in suburbs it was 50 cents per hour.

You will enjoy the country very much. If you head for Sintra and Estoril, do not forget Cascais.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 02:23 AM

SORRY. It should be Lisbon to Obidos, not Lisbon to Ostendo.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

I thank you all for the help, please keep posting the info, as we are still planing. Any suggestion for the rental? I was wondering is Seat too small?
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:46 PM

It all depends. But unless you plan to drive many hundreds of miles a day, SEAT should be all right. Besides, small cars are easier to navigate in old towns.

Make sure to get a detailed direction to your hotel in Coimbra. It is not always simple to drive in an old town, especially at night. You could hire a taxi to lead you to your hotel in a big city but it may not work there.

I would suggest you to stay outskirt of Lisbon on your return to Lisbon. Use your car to visit Sintra and the area next day, then drive to Lisbon to drop it off. Lisbon to any city and back by rail is easy and service frequent, but it is not always so when you plan to circle around some cities and points of interests.

As for maps, search it in the web and you will find tons of sites.

I rented a car from a local rental company, it worked out well.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 08:13 AM

We too thought it fairly easy driving in Portugal. We had more problems finding parking than any direction concerns on the road.

We stayed at Hotel Astoria in Coimbra (2 years ago). The pictures on the Website were more attractive than the acutal facility. The walls were pretty thin, we could hear the occupants of the room next to us. I rememeber hard wood floors, a nice sized room. We had one on the end (the rounded part of the building) and had a nice water view. I guess I was not overly impressed with the hotel, part of it was in checking in, we had our confirmation for a double bed room, their records had twin beds, they did change our room. However when we went to check out, they had increased the price of the room. We showed the manager our confirmation, and she handled it.

It was not a bad hotel, but I would check into other options if I were going to Coimbra again.