Driving In Normandy

Sep 16th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 165
Driving In Normandy

Spouse and I are flying into CDG, Paris, renting a car and driving from Paris to brother's farm in Vimoutiers. We wish to see Rouen,D-Day beaches,
Dieppe,Caen. Should one get a map in US prior departure? will maps be readily available?
Additionally; any good inexpensive hotels near Bayeux or Caen?
Also; should an International drivers license be obtained?
We're staying in Normandy for five days, two nights in Paris, flying to rome for a cruise back to USA.Should we drive around Paris? Or go through?
Thanks for reader's patience.
fosterag is offline  
Sep 16th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,193
Drive around Paris rather than through it unless you want to drop things off at yur hotel. Not clear about where you plan to drop car off. Buy a Michelin map at Barnes and Noble or on Amazon.com, good regional maps for France. Of course you can get them in France, but why waste time doing that. I always have them with me when I travel.
HappyTrvlr is offline  
Sep 16th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,704
Buy a map in advance to see where you want to visit.
And No, you don't need an international driver's liscence.
cigalechanta is online now  
Sep 16th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,289
Not directly answering your questions but perhaps still useful:

indy_dad is offline  
Sep 17th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 57,890
Definitely buy a map in advance so you can map out your route - and then confirm on viamichelin.com that there is no construction or other potential issues on the route. Also look at the estimated timing. Once you are off the main highways and into the countryside you should count on your time being much slower. We once spent 20 minutes doing no more than about 15 mph behind a gigantic hay truck - since the road was narrow and winding - so passing it was too dangerous. Other places you may encounter other farm vehicles - or, alternatively, locals who know the road very well doing 55 or 60 when you are not comfortable doing so.
nytraveler is offline  
Sep 17th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 359
I'm an old fashioned driver; I still use my Michelin Road Atlas Map of France. It cost $25 in larger bookstores and has very detailed maps of France. I have used it for several trips to France and have never gotten lost. The International Drivers License is nothing more than a translation of your drivers license into French. It isn't necessary to rent a car, but it could come in handy in the event you get stopped by the police and your French isn't that proficient.
Langcraft is offline  
Sep 17th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,221
No, it would be a waste of time. The gendarmerie knows how to read licences in the English language. An IDP might be useful if your license is in Korean or Hindu.
kerouac is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:19 AM.