Reload this Page >

Driving in Italy, info, hints, tidbits

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Walter

I'll be in Italy next week and looking for any general info (signage, Motorway info, *parking esp Verona and Pisa & local transport from parking lots Assisi and Siena*, etc). I will leave central Milan to Verona (Giulietta e Romeo), Verona to Lucca (daytrip, I plan to leave Verona very early) then to Pisa (Royal Victoria), Pisa to Siena (Chiusarelli), Pisa to Assisi (Dei Priori), Assisi to Rome Airport drop-off (Europcar). The car is basically a last minute decision, I'm all set on the actual routes but I haven't done all my homework. Also I'm interested in any Roman or Etruscan ruins along this route esp the Pisa-Siena-Assisi-Rome legs. TIA Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Walter

Anonymously Topping this post). <BR>

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 04:00 PM
karen

I have been to some of the places on your list, Walter, but so long ago that I have no tips to offer. It sounds like a wonderful trip, and I'll be watching, upon your return, for the great detailed info you always have to offer. Important question: will you be wearing that blue ribbon?

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 04:29 PM
alsodriving

did you check with your hotels in these areas (if you're staying overnight). they can tell help you with that.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 04:32 PM
alsodriving

forgot to mention, check out the website www.mappy.com, it has maps, toll info, etc.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 05:11 PM
kam

There's a Roman theatre ruin in Fiesole, a "suburb" of Florence. The town itself is Etruscan. Very pretty Roman temple, now a church, in Assisi and you can tour the excavation of a Roman forum underneath the street from the Civic museum. A wonderful Etruscan museum in either Perugia, Chiusi, and another one in Orvieto. You can actually visit some of the old tombs but it's very labor intensive and often the people who could let you in are not where they're supposed to be. Find information at the Archeological museum or the Cathedral museum. They can send you to the most reliable and easiest found ones. (my husband shares your interest!) Verona has a Roman ampitheatre as well. Part of Verona is pedestrian only so be careful. Senso Unico means one way and centro citta means the center of the city, usually the tourist part. On the autostrada be careful of the Vincard lanes for automatic tolls--you won't have one and other drivers will get annoyed. Also if passing another car, leave your left turn signal on while doing so, it lets others know you're only passing and not riding in the fast lane, and if another car comes up quickly behind you get back into the slower lane ASAP. In Assisi there's quite a bit of parking very close to the cathedral. In Siena there's quite a bit of parking near the sports complex or along the old walls of the city near the Fortezza and a little bit near the San Domenico Church (where St. Catherine's head is). Agree with the suggestion that you ask your hotel to help.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Walter

Thanks everyone. I had planned on using the trains/buses but with a strike possible I decided to rent a car last week. Just don't want the hassle whether a strike lasts just hours or a day or not at all. I've done all the research on the sites in the cities but nothing along the auto route, hate to find out later I drove *right-by* something really cool! Didn't think to ask the hotel about parking, must be that male "not asking for directions" while driving thing). Karen, I'll be wearing a blue bandana (really long hair unless I'm wearing red but I will have a blue one tied on my daypack. "Also" thanks for the site and Kam thanks for all the info. Regards, Walter

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Paulo

The Royal Victoria in Pisa has a garage. You'll have the impression you're not going to make it through the very narrow streets ... We arrived in front of the hotel (very easy to find along the Arno), unloaded and then I found the tricky way to the back of the building. <BR> <BR>The Chiusarelli has a small parking lot. Should that be full, you may use the public parking lot by the stadium or by the Fortezza Medicea. Once again, just drive to the hotel (IMO easy to find). <BR> <BR>Don't know about the Giullieta e Romeo. But it's very close to Piazza Bra which means that at worse you may use one of the underground garages nearby. <BR> <BR>One site that shows public parking locations in the cities you'll be visiting is <BR>http://www.mappy.com/direct/mappy/accueil <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Paulo

Regarding Lucca, Walter, I would recommend you to drive directly to the Duomo. There are at least four parking lots in the vicinities. Both times I visited Lucca enroute (arriving betwee 10 and 11am) I didn't have problems with parking. <BR> <BR>Don't know much about Assisi. Once I never spent a night within the city walls, I never risked driving into town (thinking that the police might stop me and not having a hotel fax to show to be alowed in). The first time I drove to Assisi I parked way outside the city walls, down at Sta. Maria degli Angeli / train station, and took the local bus into town. The other two times I just drove up the road into town and parked once close to San Pietro church and the second time I followed Viale Vittorio Emanuele (with the walls on the left) and parked near Santa Chiara church. Both times we walked into town ... but we didn't havce any luggage <BR> <BR>In your shoes, I would have my hotel reservation confirmation fax handy, drive up directly to Porta San Pietro and take it from there. You should be allowed in. At the hotel they'll either direct you to Piazza Matteotti or back to San Pietro. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:58 AM
leo

Walter, <BR>Have you been to Carsala (spelling) on the Via Flamencia (again with the spelling) in Umbria. I loved the Via Flamencia with deep ruts carved from the thousands of years of cart traffic. Other ruins are spread out over a moderate area. Interesting site and practically empty. We drove from Orvieto past Todi and Carsala was just off a major road. The cool Etruscan tombs along the escarpment of Orvieto are easily reached from the Autostrada, but you may have seen them already.