Driving in Ireland From Shannon Airport to Killarney

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our trip to Ireland in late June. After reading and research, we have decided to drive (a rental)from the Shannon Airport to our hotel in Killarney. My question is - Is this a wise decision for tourists who must learn how to drive from the other side of the vehicle on the other side of the road shifting with the other hand? (Reminds me of that childhood game where one pats their head while doing circle motions on their tummy!)Would it be wiser to take the train/bus (connecting in Limerick?) We have used the online maps and purchased the Michelin maps and have the route detailed for the drive. Just not sure if it is the wiser of the choices . . not to mention the jet lag. . .
Thank you for any advice!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:43 PM

I don't think you will have a problem. Just take it slow and stop a few times on the way for breakfast/pit stops. Think "left" while you are driving. It will only take a few minutes to get used to driving in Ireland.

Based on this route planner, it's a little over 2 hours.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:03 PM

The big question is the jet lag, and how you handle it. A drive to Killarney on day one is doable, but not for the faint hearted and/or timid.

We usually push down to just NE of Cork city (about 3 hours or so, with stops). It's hard, particularly if the weather is foul, or the flight was crowded, noisey or rough. The key, is to not be impatient. It will only make you careless.

Exiting Shannon Airport is easy, they really EASE you into the road system quite nicely, on a divided roadway and the first couple of roundabouts are minor ones.

I usually make my first stop at Bunratty. It lets me take a reality check on the whole 'unfamiliar vehicle / foreign country' thing. After that, getting back onto the highway, and tackling Limmerick (probably your biggest challenge -- it IS a city). Once you are out of Limmerick, large sections of the N21 highway to Killarney is almost a superhighway (by Irish standards). You can take a nice, refreshing break in a very picturesque Adare.
Alternately, you could drop down to Mallow and then head straight into Killarney on the N72. It is probably just a quick, but should have less traffic and fewer villages and towns to negotiate.
Doubtless, the train/bus alternative will take longer, due to connect times, stops, etc. If you pace yourself, have a good navigator and aren't OVERLY fatigued by the flight, you should do fine with the driving.

Bob
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:09 PM

We hqave driven ALL over Ireland it takes a few minutes to get use to driving on the other side and everything but then it is a second nature. I suggest spending the first night in Bunratty. We stayed in a B&B there and it was a joy then the next day go to Killarny. That way you can enjoy the sites. Jet Lag does not go with an enjoyable vacation, especially if you have a family. Ther is too much to see on the way to Killarney.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your insights! I will definitely heed the advice! We're hoping to get some rest on the flight over from New Jersey . .we arrive 6:30 a.m.("Irish" time) . .I think we'll be so thrilled to be in Ireland, the jet lag won't catch up to us too soon!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Have you done an overnight flight to Europe before? Everybody reacts differently to jet lag. I know I sleep okay on the plane, and I would be able to drive a couple of hours. But my hubby doesn't sleep a wink, and I wouldn't ask him to drive at all.

If you've never done it before...driven after the overnight flight, I don't think I would recommend it. I'd try to stay someplace closer. but if you've flown, and you know you'll arrive a little rested, and anxious to get someplace, you'll be fine.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 03:26 AM
rex

topping...
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 04:27 AM

I have been over several times, and each time feel different. However, I think driving to Killarney is doable, though not easy.

Our last trip to Ireland we flew into Dublin and drove to Kilkenny, and that was pushing it. (especially as it was dark by the time we were halfway there!)

However, this trip (late June as well!) we are flying into Shannon and staying in nearby Ennis for 4 nights before heading to Killarney/Caherbarnagh for 4 nights.

You should be fine, just take Italian_chauffer's and the others' advice and stop often. You will be thrilled to be in Ireland!!!
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

We have never flown overseas before . . .my husband can sleep anywhere, anytime. . .I don't fall asleep as easily on the plane . .so I may let him drive and I will navigate.
I'm glad we're landing in the early morning so we have the entire day. We will stop frequently to rest and see the beautiful sights!