Reload this Page >

Driving in Germany & Switzerland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 11:14 AM
Alice

We will be in Frankfurt the first half of May, staying with friends, and using that as a home base most of the time. We plan to rent a car for day trips in and around Germany, but then will leave to go to Switzerland, esp. Neuchatel and a little village outside called Villeret where my grandparents grew up. We want to continue driving to Geissbach (sp?) and on to Bern and as much of Switzerland as we can see in what time we have left. Since we really want to be free to see small villages, stay as short or as long as we want, we feel the car idea is better than trains, but we've never done this sort of thing before. Any advice?

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 11:20 AM
Maira

You are definitely on the right track if you are thinking on renting a car for day trips to small villages. May is an absolutely wonderful time of theyear to visit the region. <BR> <BR>The highway system in Germany is amazing. A word of warning, stay to your right to allow the locals (fly!) by. Also, it is illegal to stop on the highway (not even to check a map or "nature" stops; only in case of an emergency).

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 01:30 PM
Terry Worley

We flew to Frankfurt in May of this year and rented a car. Temperatures were OK, but it rained about half the 2 weeks we were in Germany. Car rental was very cheap, about $100 a week for a compact. Gas, however, is about $4 a gallon. As long as you stay out of the large cities, a car is the best way to go. We had no trouble getting around; roads are good and well-marked. Lots of good day trips from Frankfurt. I suggest Rothenburg, Bingen area of the Rhine, Cochem area of the Mosel, heard Heidleburg is nice too. Didn't drive in Switzerland; believe there is a $35 or so charge to bring a car in. Let me know if I can help you with Germany info.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 02:25 PM
Richard

Alice, A car is the right way to go, if you've driven 410 or I35 at rush hour, driving in Germany will be no problem. On your way to Bern, a side trip to Schaffhausen and the Rhine Falls is worth a detour. Be sure to contact Autoeurope and Kemwel for auto hire rates, both have web sites and 800 numbers. Advise them you're going into Switzerland and ask them about the extra charge for a pass to drive on the Swiss autobahn.

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 03:38 AM
Chris

Got back from Switzerland last fall. You do have to buy a window sticker to drive on the Swiss highways. Even though the rental car I had did have a valid sticker on it they made me buy another one. You'll probably have no choice if you go through a major border crossing. Every car that they felt needed a sticker was pulled over and made to get one. I don't remember the cost but $35 sounds about right. It wasn't that big of a deal. I was on my way again in about 10 minutes.

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 03:16 PM
Bob

A friend who lived in Germany for two years gave me some good advice before I drove there - use your rear-view mirrors! This might sound simple, but it really is important with the speed of vehicles on the autobahns. When you see cars coming at you flashing their lights, get out of the way, and be aware of what is ahead and behind. Driving fast is no problem as long as you are aware of everything around you.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 03:23 PM
Jolene

Alice: <BR>We recently returned from a trip that included Switzerland and Germany. I too went to visit the small village my great-grandparents lived in! While the trains do run to many small places, it was more convenient time-wise to drive. If you feel comfortable driving on freeways in the US, you will feel comfortable driving there. Do stay in the right lane, use the rear-view mirror etc. Also, know in advance what your route is, what exits you will be taking etc. I made a little card with names of places we would pass, and became familiar with the names of cities near where I was going--especially helpful if the town you are looking for is not big enough to warrant it's name on an autobahn sign. <BR> <BR>One thing I wish I had done was to learn directional terms in German. Exit, entrance, one-way, left turn only etc. <BR> <BR>Gas is expensive, but most of the cars are very fuel efficient. In Switzerland you do pay a fee, but the roads are great. In France and Italy you have to mess with toll-booths along the way. Much better IMO to pay the $30-35 when you go in than to keep paying every few miles! <BR> <BR>Enjoy your visit. <BR> <BR>Jolene <BR>

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 08:19 AM
Alice

Thanks, everyone, for all your help on deciding whether to rent a car in Germany and Switzerland. We definitely will do so. Am looking at staying in Bern for perhaps 3 nights and then zipping out of Switzerland to visit Salzburg. By the way, do any of you know how long that "zip" will be from Bern? Switzerland looks so small, but those mountains remind me of Colorado. Once we thought we were going to go for lunch just 11 miles away, but it was over a pass and it took us about 6 hours. Thanks again for your help.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 12:42 PM
RobM

Driving Bern to Strasbourg should only take a couple of hours tops.

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 01:16 AM
Jochen

<BR> <BR>Alice, <BR> <BR>according to my route planner the fastest route from Bern to Salzburg is Bern - Zürich - St. Gallen - Lindau - München - Salzburg ( mostly motorways ). The distance is about 600 km. Depending on your driving speed, this should take you something like 6 hours. Remember that both Switzerland and Austria ( but not Germany ) require "Vignettes" for their motorways. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps. <BR> <BR>Regards, Jochen