Reload this Page >

2 wks in Spain - Spring 2000

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 1999, 07:30 AM
Myer

After several visits to Paris, Switzerland and Italy always by train, we are planning a 2 week trip to Spain for next spring. While we have always built our trips ourselves and travelled by train, we are starting to lean against sleeers and overnight trains as you just don't get a great night's sleep and that impacts the next day. Maybe we're getting too old. <BR>We have never rented a car and only drive automatic. <BR>The sites I have thought of include Madrid with a side to Segovia and/or Toledo, Cordoba, Seville, Granada, Ronda and a day or two on the beach. <BR>How long in each place? <BR>Would anybody like to convince me of the most appropriate mode of transportation? Since other than Madrid, all the other locations are quite close together, driving by car is tempting. However, some of the stories of auto breakins (Seville, etc) are turning me off. <BR>Should an attempt be made to somehow get to Barcelona?

Old Sep 25th, 1999, 09:22 AM
Bobby Ghosh

Myer, <BR>First: you MUST make it to Barcelona. No trip to Spain is complete without at least three-four days in its most vibrant city. <BR>I'd suggest the following breakdown: <BR>Madrid -- 4 days (including two day trips to Toledo and Segovia) <BR>Seville -- 3 days (day trip to Cordoba) <BR>Granada -- 3 days (day trip to Rhonda) <BR>Barcelona -- 4 days <BR>By all means take the train: the rail system in Spain is convenient, comfortable and affordable (see the RENFE website). The AVE superfast train from Madrid to Seville (via Cordoba) is superb. There's also nice overnight train from Granada to Barcelona and from Barcelona to Madrid. <BR>Caveat: Getting around Andalucia (Seville, Cordoba, Granada, Rhonda) is just as easy by bus. There are good, frequent services between all the important towns. It's also a beautiful countryside, and you enjoy it better traveling by bus. <BR>My wife and I spent two glorious weeks in Spain in the spring of 1998; we fell in love with the country and are going back this December. Mail me if you want information on hotels. <BR>Have a wonderful time. <BR>Cheers, <BR>Bobby

Old Sep 25th, 1999, 02:11 PM
kathy

Myer, do a search on this forum. There is great information about driving inSpain recently posted. It seems many of us are planning to visit Spain next spring. There's a wealth of information here for the searching. I finally started to separate all of it today.

Old Sep 26th, 1999, 04:53 AM
Maira

Myer; I've been to Spain numerous times and my advice is to leave something for a return trip, because return you will!!! <BR> <BR>As far as transportation, a car has always been the answer for me. The advantage is the independence and flexibility, the drawback is parking in larger cities. This drawback has never been serious; there have always been a place to park, although sometimes not readily available. I wouldn't do it any other way. At a minimum, use the train while in Madrid and Barcelona (Bobby's proposed itinerary looks good), and rent a car for Southern Spain. It is the kind of destination where a car is the best way to explore the region. <BR> <BR>Like Kathy says, do a search on this forum for a wealth of info on driving, hotels, and Spain sights. <BR> <BR>What about the following draft itinerary?: <BR> <BR>DAYS 1-3 Arrive in Barcelona. Explore. <BR> <BR>DAY 4 Train to Madrid <BR> <BR>DAY 5-7 Explore Madrid w/day trip tp Toledo and day/trip to Segovia - Avila. <BR> <BR>DAY 8 Train to Seville <BR> <BR>DAY 9-11 Explore Seville. Rent a car. Drive to Pueblos Blancos. <BR> <BR>DAY 12 Train or drive to Granada. <BR> <BR>DAY 12-13 Explore Granada. <BR> <BR>DAY 14 Drive to Malaga. Day trip to Rock of Gibraltar. <BR> <BR>DAY 15 Depart from Malaga (40 mts flight to Madrid- Barajas)

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 04:09 PM
michele

Bobby's advice is excellent.As for a car, both the train and bus service in Andalucia is excellent and you do NOT want a car in Seville. Parking is a nightmare. If you have the time for Barcelona, go. It's a gem, although I prefer the Moorish influences of the south. (I spent four days in Seville last April find for any major city you need at least three days). <BR> <BR>Spain is great. No matter what you do you'll enjoy it.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 10:05 AM
Alice

My first trip to Europe in 1991 was to Spain and Portugal - not my choice, as I have traveled extensively throughout all of Mexico and presumed that Spain would just be more of the same. WRONG! I truly fell in love with the country, especially Seville where we ate a long lunch of paella and drank several bottles of wine at a sidewalk cafe in old town, then talked a horse and carriage driver to transport us to the other side of town to our hotel. Also, in Cordoba we arrived at the beginning of a large festival (in May) and our hotel was smack in the middle of it. We were advised not to go, but that's not our style. We had a fantastic time at this "family" styled fiesta where everyone (young and old) danced the flamenco as if it was a ballroom dance. We stayed out until 3 a.m. and still the party went on. There were plenty of police and we saw no sign of bad behavior. Torremolinas was also a delight on the costa del sol and we went to a restaurant which cooked a huge sea bass encased in salt. I videotaped the process of the two waiters cutting open the solid "statue" of salt. It was quite a production. Sorry I don't recall the name of the restaurant, but I probably have it within my photo album if you want it. Toledo was perhaps the least impressive town we visited. By the way, we did all this and much, much more on a "guided tour" which we very much enjoyed, but have not done another tour.

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 06:15 AM
Maria

Myer, <BR> <BR>I am definitely for Maira's advice regarding saving some sights for your next trip to Spain, because as you can see from responses on this Forum....you will fall in love with the country and its life and people! I think that for first time visitors to Spain I would recommend doing the Madrid/ Andalucia thing and save the Barcelona/ Northern Spain sights for a separate visit because they are geographically very distant as well as culturally a very different world. My suggested itinerary (which we did last November and found to be comfortable and filled with a combination of big city/small town/countryside is as follows: <BR>Days 1-4 Madrid (we did not due any Toledo side trips but Toledo or El Escorial are increidible) <BR>Day 5 Bullet train to Sevilla <BR>Days 4-7 Explore Sevilla <BR>Day 8 rent car, drive to Pueblos Blancos, spend night in Ronda <BR>Day 9 drive to Granada for 2 nights <BR>Day 11 drive to Baeza/ Ubeda spend night in Ubeda <BR>Day 12 drive to Cordoba (return rental car immediately) and spend night <BR>Day 13 take bullet train to Madrid and have one last evening in the Plaza Mayor eating tapas <BR>Day 14 depart Madrid <BR> <BR>Hope this is helpful and not more confusing to you...you will have a great trip regardless of exactly which places you visit...Buen Viaje!!!...Maria