Search

Driving in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in Dublin

Hello,

I'm a new member here. My family is flying into Dublin Saturday afternoon, March 13th. I know traffic is notoriously bad there, and that Skyfest will take place that night in the city centre. Can anyone give advice as to whether is would be bumper to bumper at about 17:30 from the airport to Mulligan's in Poolberg Street? We are headed for Dingle, but I can't pass through Dublin without one Guinness!

If this plan sounds impossible, can you recommend somewhere near the M50 on the way to the N7 to have an excellent pint?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Saturday evening at that time isn't as bad as weekdays (although it is bad!), however with Skyfest, that will add to your delays! To get to Poolbeg Street, you have to go down Pearse Street - which is one of the most gridlocked parts of the city! Also, there is no parking near Mulligans...the closest would be Fleet Street Car Park in Temple Bar (it's probably less than a 10 minute walk from Mulligans). The only problem is that the car park will probably be jam packed!

Yes, Mulligans has good Guinness. But, if I'm being honest - unless you're a Guinness coinnoseur, you will not notice the difference between the Guinness served there, and the Guinness served in any other pub in the country.

My advice would be to skip the city centre.

Also, might I ask - are you planning to drive ALL the way to Dingle on your first night?? If so, I'd highly recommend that you don't. It's a very long journey and you will be tired from your flight.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:58 AM

No way,

Traffic cut off starts early and Mulligans is just behind the Quays. Its like arriving in Newark and Driving to times square for a pint. Most of the area will be fenced early so you will probably not get a parking space or even near it.

I 2nd to colleen, the drive is about 6 hours and it is really dark at night in the countryside. I was scared enough of the drive when went through Kerry in the daylight. The approach to Dingle is very winding. I would stay somewhere on the way down, it's too crazy in the dark (No street lights on the country roads)and don't forget the roads are much smaller (no highways). There will be plenty of villages to stop along the way all equally as good.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:09 AM

I thought I'd ask a related question (I'm constantly amazed at the amount of expertise on thus forum). We're picking up our rental car in Dublin on a Thursday morning (June 10); we'll have been in Dublin for several days. We can pick up either at the airport or from Europecar's Dublin office (we're going through Auto Europe, but that's the local firm) at 2 Haddington Rd. The Auto Europe rep said the office was only 8 miles from the airport and thought we might as well go back there, even though it's out of our way (we're driving south, to Powerscourt, then Glendalough and Kilkenny). I suspect avoiding Dublin traffic is worth the detour, but don't know where Haddinton Road is. Any advice?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Hi - I walk down Haddington Road twice a day every day (I work about 5 minutes from there!). It's not that far from the city centre really. If you look at a map and see Baggot Street - it's just where Baggot Street Bridge is. What hotel are you staying in and I can tell you the best way to get to Haddington Road?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:14 AM

If you are going to be staying in the city centre or southside, well then you'd be better collecting the car at the Haddington Road office. It is located in Dublin 4 at Baggot Street Bridge which is very central. It will also mean that you are on the right side of the city for your trip to Powerscourt and will avoid some of the traffic. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:45 AM

cailin and kempten: We'll be staying at Staunton's on the Green guesthouse (St. Stephen's Green)--do you know it? I keep hearing scary stories about Dublin traffic and trying to follow directions, but it really would make more sense than the airport.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to SiobhanP and Cailin for your prompt responses. You've convinced me to just get on the M50 and go around the city centre. I just can't believe I'm going to be so close and not be able to at least have a look around. I live in Houston, Texas, which competes with Los Angeles for the most traffic-congested city in the US, and I commute in and out of the city 45 minutes to an hour each way during rush hour (30 miles), but we have the roads to accomodate the traffic. It doesn't sound like Dublin does yet.

Am I a Guinness coinnoseur? Well, I'd like to be, but how can I if I've never had one in Dublin?

I know flying across the atlantic and drivng across Ireland on the left side of the road in the dark is crazy. I'm told it's a 6 hour drive. If it becomes too much, we'll just pull in somewhere and spend the night.

Again, many thanks.

Geoff
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:51 AM

Geoff, this topic comes up from time to time. Six hours is too much. You won't stay awake until dark. You are risking your life and the lives of others. Spend the night within two hours of Dublin and do the rest the next day. I've never met anyone who thought a 6 hour drive after a couple of very restless hours of sleep was a good idea.

If you are arriving in the afternoon, it sounds like you will be flying into a European airport (London?) and then over to Ireland. You will be exhausted and living on only a couple of hours of sleep. Driving will put you to sleep in a hurry.

Bill
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Bill,

Yes, we are flying into London Gatwick on Continental, have a 3 1/2 hour layover, and then Ryanair to Dublin, arriving at 16:30. Thanks for sharing your experience so that the unexperienced (like me) don't make foolish and costly mistakes.

Geoff
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 12:33 AM

carolynk - I do know Staunton's on the Green. Haddington Road is about a 10-15 minute walk from there at most. Otherwise, you can hop on the number 10 bus from Stephens Green (the opposite side to Stauntons), or else get a taxi and that would cost no more than a few euro to get you to Europecar. Driving in Dublin can be a nightmare. Signposting is awful! However, if you're leaving the city when you pick up your car, the N11 (the road you will be taking), is well signposted and you shouldn't have too many problems.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 12:37 AM

Geoff,
You should be able to aget a B&B in a larger town on the way. The reason why I suggest you do not drive all the way is I am concerned about you driving in the dark. I haven't been to dingle in 4 years (I seem to go everywhere wlse!) but in the daylight the route I took was very winding and in farmland. Not all areas are fenced in and you do not want to hit any sheep/people that may be near the road and invisible in the dark as there will be no other lights but you car. The way we also took coming into Dingle was a bit winding and had me catch my breath a few times. I would have a look at the map and pick a mid piont with a arge town and aim for that. Better safe than sorry
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:45 AM

cailin--thanks for the reassurance. If the road is signposted, we should be OK. I can read a map, but I was born without the innate sense of direction that so many people seem to have, and it can be hard to find street names (I know to look on the sides of buildings, but even so...) or highway signs. I don't suppose there's a time in the morning when the traffic gets lighter? Still, going to the airport would be enormously out of our way.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:50 AM

carolyn
from haddington road, all you have to do is find Donnybrook (they'll tell you how to get there at the car rental place - it's literally one left turn and straight ahead!)...and once you get to Donnybrook you just keep going straight all the way until you're out of the city. Yup - the airport would have been WAY out of your way, and it would also be much more difficult to navigate from there to Powerscourt. You shouldn't have any problems! Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:51 AM

oh sorry - only just noticed your question about traffic. The traffic in the morning is bad from about 7.30am until 9.30am, after that it shouldn't be too busy.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Traffic will have died down by 10am and going from Haddington road south to wicklow is a good way to go, much quicker than the airport which you will waste half a day doing.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:34 AM

caitlin, Shiobhan--thanks so much! You've saved me all sorts of unnecessary time and trouble. (I love this forum!)
Carolyn
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 05:05 PM

nitynite: if your just going to dublin for a pint forget it there are a zillion (not quite) pubs along the way and I would not drive all the way to dingle first day off the plane