Driving in Crete

Search

Driving in Crete

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2021, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in Crete

Hello, we want to go to Crete again, this would be my third time: I have become interested in the archaeological sites there. The thing is I don't like driving in Crete - those roads! We would want to take in the archaeological sites from east to west, south as well.
So, my question is - how are the buses, can I travel without a car?
Old May 7th, 2021, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Any thoughts?
Old May 7th, 2021, 12:23 PM
mjs

Just curious as to why you didn’t like driving in Crete. It’s been awhile but we found it easy even without GPS
Old May 7th, 2021, 12:29 PM

I've driven on many Greek Islands and parts of the mainland. For the most part the roads are in good condition and if you travel off season once you get away from built up areas there's almost no traffic. Just watch out for goats!

While I haven't driven on Crete I did make use of the bus service. While good buses do have their limitations on schedule and where they go.

Crete is a large island and there's a lot to see and I really regret not renting a car. Ever since then I rent cars whenever I am in Greece.

Not sure where you are from but the driving is a lot better in many parts of Greece (except Athens!) than in my home state.

I think you'll be fine if you rent a car. Use common sense just like you would at home.

Old May 7th, 2021, 01:11 PM

I actually prefer to drive over taking the bus outside of the cities. The roads are very winding, and I was getting motion sick on the buses. I once took a bus from Chania to the trail head of the Samaria Gorge, and it was the most motion sick I have ever felt. The roads are fine to drive on and navigate outside of the cities. From within the cities, I prefer whatever public transportation they have. Another option is that you could always hire a taxi - taxi drivers on Crete are often willing to negotiate flat fees for hiring them for the day, which could be fun. Many know the island well, and they end up acting like a tour guide.