Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! What to buy my traveller mother for birthday?!?

Old May 5th, 2021, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She's been all over the world but now she's heading to Europe next when vivid calms down. I don't know the exact destination yet but could I get some suggestions?
Old May 5th, 2021, 11:31 AM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's always a gamble to buy someone a gift aimed at their area of particular interest. Either they buy themselves exactly what they want or what they want is so specific someone else won't know the very particular parameters. Which leaves a gift certificate/gift card or just ask HER what she'd like for her next trip.

If she uses guidebooks, get her a gift card for an online bookstore. Websites for travel items & clothing are, again, tricky depending on her style. No way any of us will know, too many variables. It's tough, good luck.

Last edited by MmePerdu; May 5th, 2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old May 5th, 2021, 11:36 AM

Upgrade her plane ticket? Hotel room? Have a champagne/flowers/yummies waiting in her room? 💝

Just remembered that our best pals sent an anniversary card to our room in Italy. When we checked in, it was a huge hoot to hear, "You have mail!"

Last edited by TDudette; May 5th, 2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old May 5th, 2021, 11:57 AM

You could consider a gift certificate for an experience, such as through www.viator.com, www.contexttravel.com, https://iwilltravelagain.com/ or similar.
Old May 5th, 2021, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always lust after nice passport holders.
Old May 5th, 2021, 12:26 PM

https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/p...36&CategoryID= I love some of the others but this is on sale.
Old May 5th, 2021, 12:30 PM

For in flight listening, an inexpensive MP3 player loaded with an audio book pertaining to her destination or podcasts also pertaining.
Old May 5th, 2021, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Envierges View Post
For in flight listening, an inexpensive MP3 player loaded with an audio book pertaining to her destination or podcasts also pertaining.
Why burden her with an extra item? A cell phone will do all of that, plus a lot more (like telling her how much her bus fare will be). It will also take photos, although I still prefer to travel with an actual camera.

I agree with the others that there is no way to answer the question, and it should be posed to the recipient not a bunch of strangers.
Old May 5th, 2021, 01:52 PM

A big, beautiful, but crushable, sun hat. Cloth has held up best for me.
A high quality, folding umbrella that will not give in to wind. Unfortunately, I have lost all my great ones, but would still like another.
Small sizes of super light weight packing cubes, cloth & net, not plastic. I have several sets, do not use the big ones too much, but love the smaller ones for everything from underwear to medicines, for ease of finding things.
Another thing I like, bought just before COVID, but did not get a chance to use, is a very light weight, wheeled, carry on that can also sit atop regular luggage. It was at Tuesday Morning for less than $50.00. This is not one that looks like a small suitcase. It has compartments for books, clothes, computer, etc. I was tired of toting those without wheels through airports, but did not want another large piece.
I like small, lightweight, cloth passport holders, nothing to add weight or take up space. Of course, all packing is kind of personal choices.
Tickets to a museum or class or some kind would be great, even something local.
Old May 5th, 2021, 02:30 PM

Hopeless, unless he plans to buy gifts for the Fodor's members above, then all the suggestions are good.
Old May 5th, 2021, 04:20 PM

If you (re)read the OP, you will see that this is a world traveler. It would be very surprising if she doesn't already have everything she needs in the way of travel equipment. I have done a lot of travel, I would not be very happy if I were given an umbrella (already well supplied and prefer to choose my own), or packing cubes (I don't use them), etc. etc. I absolutely DO NOT WANT someone giving me luggage!!!
Old May 5th, 2021, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd View Post
If you (re)read the OP, you will see that this is a world traveler. It would be very surprising if she doesn't already have everything she needs in the way of travel equipment. I have done a lot of travel, I would not be very happy if I were given an umbrella (already well supplied and prefer to choose my own), or packing cubes (I don't use them), etc. etc. I absolutely DO NOT WANT someone giving me luggage!!!
Exactly! By the time you're a "world traveler" either you have everything or what you want is a very particular thing & something you can only choose for yourself.
Old May 5th, 2021, 07:47 PM

Euros. It is always nice to land and have some cash ready at hand.
Old May 5th, 2021, 09:02 PM

I'd buy a nice luggage tag and a bottle of wine (or something edible) which hails from Europe (maybe some Prosecco?). A luggage tag is small, nice, useful and it doesn't matter if she already has one. With the bottle/food she can pretend she's somewhere else for an hour (and it's soon gone so you can buy more next birthday!).

Alternatively, a book full of gorgeous photos to inspire her travel plans.
Old May 6th, 2021, 04:48 AM

We always give euros for gifts if we know my niece is traveling. My brother had his 70th in Paris and I sent him euros and some local maps.
Old May 6th, 2021, 06:27 AM

Sassafras posted the first answer that came into my mind, a packable hat. Euros is a great idea. maybe padded headphone. Ask her if she would like some SPF gear. I don't care for the shirts, but the pants are comfortable for walking. And I personally can never have enough white button-front shirt, even though I travel with only a 22" suitcase. An SPF hat or hat with a neck flap might be a great addition, especially if she is blond gray or silver. My scalp and part tend toward sunburn now that I have let my hair go to its natural silver. As she is a world traveler, I might put less focus on a surprise, and ask her what she would like. If she demurs, surprise her with euros. Happy and safe travels to her - how wonderful!
Old May 6th, 2021, 09:07 AM

Trtl neck pillow, It's a soft neck support pillow that really works. My wife and I both use them when flying. I think there's over 25,000 reviews on amazon.
Old May 6th, 2021, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu View Post
I think it's always a gamble to buy someone a gift aimed at their area of particular interest. Either they buy themselves exactly what they want or what they want is so specific someone else won't know the very particular parameters. Which leaves a gift certificate/gift card or just ask HER what she'd like for her next trip.

If she uses guidebooks, get her a gift card for an online bookstore. Websites for travel items & clothing are, again, tricky depending on her style. No way any of us will know, too many variables. It's tough, good luck.
I was going to suggest a book about great places to visit, but this makes sense the more I think about it. I think a gift certificate is the right move. Asking her is an option, but it kind of ruins the surprise.
Old May 6th, 2021, 01:36 PM

The problem is she may not want any of the above suggested items. I sure wouldn't (like a hat, if I wanted a hat, I'd have my own, which I do). Ditto neck pillow., never liked them and that is one more thing to lug all over Europe with you. I would not want a passport holder, either, as I carry mine in my purse and the last thing I'd want is something to add bulk. I carry my passport in a see-through small plastic sleeve just to keep it from getting damaged. That's doesn't add hardly any bulk.

Giving your mother money is kind of strange, I think. Especially if she has plenty herself. But I guess it is more exotic if it is euros. Of course you pay a premium to get them in the US, but at least that would be useful. What would be really useful, but probably hard/impossible for you to get, would be small euro bills as when you use ATMs over there, sometimes you get stuck with 50s. So if you could get 5s,10s,or even 20s, that would actually be useful upon arrival, but I doubt if you can in the US. But the problem is you don't even know where she is going, they may not use the euro. Lots of countries in Europe do not.

I would never give my mother a gift certificate, either, I think giving people money is in poor taste. I make some exceptions for kids and exceptions for elderly who can't get out and shop and want to buy someone a gift. But you giving money to your mother?

I like the idea of some experience, though, like the Viator thing, hard to tell if she is familiar with that type of thing or not. Wihtout having any idea where she is going makes it rather tough, actually.

Upgrading the flight would be super great, I wouldn't even know how to do that, but boy, that is something I'd love. Like first class.

if you are sure she doesn't have some, one of my favorite travel things is noise-canceling headphones, and those work no matter where you are going.
Old May 6th, 2021, 01:44 PM

Noise canceling headphones are fine on the plane, but then you have to lug them around for the rest of the trip. The OP ought to be able to find out what his mother might like by having a conversation with her. Assuming this was a real request - I notice that s/he hasn't returned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information