Driving in Assisi

Search

Driving in Assisi

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in Assisi

Will be staying at Hotel Umbra in Assisi in September. Has anyone recently stayed there and driven to the hotel? Could you please provide driving directions to the nearest parking area? Will be coming in from Rome.

Thanks
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:29 AM

You can probably get a better answer from the hotel itself.
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

We asked the hotel about this when we made our reservation but they never responded to us.
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Oh, all right. The Hotel Umbra is down a few steps from the main square in Assisi, the Piazza del Comune. Once you're near Assisi, follow the signs that say "centro" (usually an image of a circle with two or three rings in it). When you get to the Piazza del Comune, ask any local which steps to go down to get to the Hotel Umbra and take your luggage down. Ask the people at the Hotel Umbra where the nearest parking area is. And if they won't or can't tell you, the tourist office at Piazza del Comune 12 certainly can and will.

That's the best I can do; I don't drive and arrived in Assisi by train.
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:39 AM
rex

You can NOT park anywhere near Hotel Umbra, and you're actually not supposed to drive your car into Piazza delle Commune during most daylight hours. You can get away with it early morning and after dark (though it is rather daunting approaching there for the first time in the dark).

You can find two maps at http://www.assisionline.com/assisi_c...roundings.html and click on the "town center" to go directly to http://www.assisionline.com/assisi_h...enter_map.html (it, in turn, offers, additional details if you click on quadrants). It is very hard to relate this to the real terrain of Assisi's up and down streets.

Quite honestly, you might do better to stay at Hotel Fontebella. They have 10-15 private parking spaces, right at the front door of the hotel. The location of Umbra has its own advantages (shopping, the Temple of Minerva), but Fontebella is actually closer to the Basilica(s).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Rex is perfectly right that you cannot park in Piazza del Comune.

Here, however are the rules on traffic restrictions in Assisi, direct from the Web site referenced by Rex:

Traffic and parking within the town-walls is admitted for few hours only per day. THE ACCESS TO THE HISTORICAL CENTRE IS NEVERTHELESS ALLOWED FOR FETCHING FROM OR DEPOSIT THE LUGGAGE AT THE HOTELS. Parking in the historical centre during traffic opening hours is limited to one hour only.
It is highly recommended to leave the car outside the town-walls, although there is one only fare-free parking site outside Porta S.Giacomo along Viale Albornoz. The parking site is linked with the centre by mini-buses. Still outside the town-centre lie the major fare-parking-sites such as Porta Nuova (linked to the centre by moving staircases) and the underground parking site of Piazza Matteotti from where you may easily walk to the centre.

The CAPs are mine; the language is theirs. And I never said that the parking areas were NEAR the Hotel Umbra; I merely stated that you could ask where the nearest (which is a relative thing) one was.

If you go to the Fontebella, your problems are solved. If you stay at the Umbra, it'll probably be a bit more complicated.

And here, again from the same Web site, are the driving directions from Rome:

From Rome travelling northwards along the A1 motorway the best exit for reaching Assisi is at Orte, which is connected to the regional capital at first by the ss204 to Terni and then by the E45 (or SS3bis) from Terni to Perugia-Assisi.

And you can print the maps from the same Web site, although Rex is perfectly right that it doesn't give you the ups and downs that characterize most of Assisi.
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:17 AM

The Hotel Umbra is WONDERFUL, and I wouldn't let the lack of parking there deter you, nor would I try to navigate through the town to your accommodations. Driving in Assisi is a nightmare, and the cars who do try it mar the ambience of the place. We parked in a the first lot just outside the city and navigated our 22" roll on bags two or three blocks to the Hotel Umbra.

We did initially try to drive to the hotel just to drop off our bags, but we quickly recognized our mistake, made a U-turn and beat it back out the gate and snagged the first available spot we found.
Old May 30th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Dear Verona,Rex,Eloise and Mary Fran,
I'll be heading to the Hotel Umbra in a few weeks and I thank you all for your input. We will try to do what Mary Fran did. Verona, if I see other difficulties, I'll be sure to e-mail you. I love this site for all of the help that everyone provide's.
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:16 PM

Hi, Verona,

I'll be staying at the Hotel Umbra in September. Please post your "lessons learned" about parking -- and any restaurants you particularly enjoyed -- when you return.

Thanks in advance and have a great trip.

John H.
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We will park at one of the lots and walk to the hotel. Anyone know which lot is closest and how to find it?

To John H - when in September will you be there? We are staying September 28-30.
Old May 31st, 2004, 08:24 AM

Hi, Verona,

Four of us will be staying there from Sept 27-30. We'll be arriving from Montalcino sometime on the 27th, and heading down to Todi after breakfast on the 30th. We should definitely plan on meeting for breakfast or grabbing a drink together one day when we overlap.

Feel free to drop me an email directly: [email protected]

John H.

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 09:27 AM

Hi -
I will be staying at the Hotel Umbria at the beginning of July and I spoke to the hotel on 5/21 (email) and this is the parkig information that the hotel director provided:
"Reach the Hotel Umbria by car via Porta S.Francesco and come up to Piazza del Commune following Via Fontebella, Via Giotto and Via Porta. Parking is available nearby (Piazza Matteotti)....and they attached a map for reference.
From reading the above posts, which would be best 1) parking outside the walls or 2) to follow the hotels instructions?
Thanks,
John
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Wondering if cassparker has returned from Hotel Umbra - I received the same info from them re parking.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:43 AM

Hi All,

Yes, I returned yesterday and stayed one night at the Hotel Umbria - the night of 7/1.

Assisi is beautiful and the views from town are stunning, the valley is a patchwork carpet of colors.

All went as planned, followed the directions the hotel provided. Follow "centro" to Piazza del Commune, take it slow, very narrow streets but okay to drive. Immediately as you enter the Piazza (only about 20 feet) pull off to your right (the traffic goes off to the left) and you/your car can "stand" with your hazards on so you can unload your luggage.

Have one person stay be the car and the other bring the luggage down the walkway (about 30-40 feet, on the right) to the hotels front door. They will hold your bags in the lobby while you park your car.

They will give you a map of Assisi and tell you where the underground parking is and how to get back to the hotel for check-in (about a 5 minute walk downhill). I guess the majority of tourists do not know about the parking at the top of Assisi - it was half empty.

Hope this helps - have a great time.

Best,

John
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:23 AM

The hotel is nice, but we (4 of us last year) all agreed that their restaurant took the "award" as the most overrated.
Enjoy one of my favorite cities,especially at night.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:25 PM

Thank you for the info - this is a big help!

Planned on dinner there also - jabez - maybe not a good idea?
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:41 PM

I also found the Hotel Umbra very pleasant but the dinner there mediocre at best.

For an inexpensive alternative, the Trattoria Pallotta is very close (just down another set of steps from the Piazza del Comune). For a more elegant and expensive meal, the San Francesco, also quite close by. Both recommended by CN Traveller Gold: Umbria, published in Italy, in Italian, for Italians -- and most Italians are quite fussy about good food...
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:30 AM

Just returned from Italy trip. Assisi and the Hotel Umbra were wonderful. Room nice - wonderful views! However, disappointed as all restaurants that we wanted to try were closed. Ended up at the Palotta - which was just "ok".

Getting to Assisi - no problem - drove there after brief stop in Spoleto.

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:33 AM

We stayed at a hotel near Hotel Umbra and we were allowed to drive into the Piazza unload our bags and leave within about a half hour. The parking lot is a bit of a walk from there but not too bad.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Zo

I would park at the Piazza Matteotti. It has the advantage when arriving that is at the top of the town, so if you don't want to brave driving into the Piazza, it is at least a downhill walk. And when leaving you may feel more conficent bringing the car down, since you will know what to expect by then.