Reload this Page >

Driving Help Needed - Cliffs Moher to Dingle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Lori

Hi! I'm planning my driving trip to SW Ireland for late May. It there an easy way to Drive from Cliffs of Moher to Dingle Pen. - maybe a bridge or ferry crossing the Mouth of Shannon? I'm not interested in seeing Limerick and would like to see the CLiffs then drive and stay in Dingle somewhere. Any advice?

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 03:25 PM
evelyntrav

Even though you didn't ask, try to see the nearby Burren area. It's landscape is very unique and gives a good sense of the farming problems in Ireland.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 01:08 AM
Edmond O`Flaherty

There is a car ferry across the Shannon at Killimer,near Kilrush.It goes every hour to Tarbert which is 60 miles from Dingle.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:03 AM
mike

http://www.shannonferries.com/

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:45 AM
JFM

Take the drive...it is beautiful. Although, I have friends who took the ferry and said that was cool too.<BR><BR>As another had noted, try to see the Burren, it is an eye opener and a true piece of Ireland.<BR><BR>In Dingle, heasd to the Covered Bridge Pub (I am 99% sure that is the name, it was a yellow building) for traditional music and maybe you'll get lucky and a football (soccer to us) game will be on, now that is true Ireland. Also, eat at Novecento....fantastic Irish-Italian food mix! And, don't forget to wander Dingle to shop! <BR><BR>As for driving, take Slea Head Drive and COnner Pass...totally worth it!<BR><BR>Finally, if you need a B&B in Dingle, I have one but I have to get the name for you, since it was in Gaelic. Just email me.<BR><BR>As you can see Dingle was one of our most favorite towns.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:52 AM
James

For "true" Ireland, you'd be looking for a gaelic football match, not soccer.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Jeff

I think the ferry runs south across the mouth of the Shannon every hour on the hour, and then north on the half hour every hour -- but check with the Shannon ferries website. <BR><BR>It took us about 4 hours last summer to drive from Dingle town to Doolin, even with the ferry crossing. <BR><BR>Dingle is spectacular. As another poster indicated, the Slea Head drive is unforgettable. The pass through the mountains north of Dingle that you take if you're on the road heading out to Tralee is also awesome, although its often fog-bound. The Blasket Islands Museum at the western end of the peninsula is very well-done and quite intriguing; if you had time to take a boat out to the Great Blasket, I should think that would be a very neat thing to do. The Dingle Bookshop in Dingle is an excellent place to get local guidebooks, Ordnance Survey maps, etc. And there are guided walking tours offered by various companies in and around Dingle town that I should think would be very interesting to do.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Jane

I second the recommendation for Novecento, the Italian restaurant. We had some of the best pasta we'd ever had there, made with fresh seafood.<BR><BR>Also, I believe the pub that the previous poster mentioned is the Small Bridge, not the Covered Bridge. Either way, it's a great place.<BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:59 PM
kam

Absolutely take the ferry--great time saver and a nice break from driving. Look for rainbows!

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 10:57 AM
marylouise

Hi <BR>We took the ferry and think it was the right way to go. <BR>Have fun!

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Vicki

Thanks for all the info. We will be in Ireland next week and wonder if we can depart from Shannon to the Cliffs of Moher and then take the ferry and end up on the Dingle Pen.? I am not sure of driving times and would appreciate any advise.<BR>Thanks

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 12:09 AM
Shadow

Vicki-I would not recommend you trying to do that all in one day. Last summer we landed in Shannon in the morning, went to our B&B to leave our luggage but we could not check in yet. So, then we headed to the Cliffs of Moher. We were at the Cliffs about an hour or so then headed back to the Bunratty area to our B&B and we were all exhausted. So, if you are flying from the States that is too much in one day.<BR>The next day we headed to Dingle via the Killimer Ferry.<BR>In Ireland it takes twice the time to get anywhere as it does here because you are mainly not traveling highways like in the States. But the scenery is so beautiful-its well worth it!<BR>Hope this helps.<BR>Shadow

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:03 AM
Gerald Horgan

To enjoy the Dingle Peninsula you need at least 3 days there!!You can stay either in the town or in Ventry (Ceann Tr&aacuteoverlooking Ventry Bay. For further information go here<BR>http://www.dingle-region.com

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 04:30 AM
ian

For a REALLY TRUE Ireland you will be looking for Hurling!