Driving from Zurich to Lucerne to Interlaken

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to be in Switzerland in June, starting with a two night stay in Zurich, then two nights near Lucerne (Vitznau) and then 4 nights in Interlaken. I'm wondering about driving given that I get a little queasy (fear of heights) when I'm driving winding roads with steep drops to the side. How is the drive from Zurich to Lucerne? From Lucerne to Interlaken?
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Zurich-Lucerne mainly flat. Lucerne-Interlaken via the famous Brunig Pass gets rather twisting with drop offs at a few points, but it's a main road. You can probably drive faster by a much less scenic route Lucerne-Bern-Spiez-Interlaken or some such route that is autobahn and very flat. Brunig Pass is very scenic, especially when you corkscrew down from the pass summit to lake Brienz, then follow this pristine alpine pond to Interlaken.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 04:27 PM

I have always driven in Europe for all of my 22 trips--except in CH. The trains are so efficient there is little reason to drive.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 01:35 AM

I live in Zurich and drive to the Interlaken area quite often, and am in fact doing it tomorrow to go to the World Cup (Men’s) in Wengen. I don’t believe there is any autobahn between Lucerne and the Interlaken area, I think the Brunig Pass is the only way to go. (I will check my map tomorrow to double check this, but the route planning software I use from Swisscom does not show any other way.)

The Brunig Pass is not especially high (about 3,000 feet), but there are a few sheer drops and as noted above, many twists and turns. I am not sure what to compare it to in the US (assume you live there), maybe the US Highway 1 drive in Carmel? (in terms of drop-offs, etc.)

As you don’t like heights, then you presumably will not want to drive any of the other really fun and much higher passes in the area like the Furka, Grimsel, etc. In that case, I don’t think you really need a car, as you can take the train very easily from Zurich to Interlaken, and then take other trains or buses for day trips to Wengen, Murren, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald Kandersteg, etc (assuming you want to be up on the mountains. . .) At those places you won’t be using the car to explore, as walking is the best way to see things, and Wengen and Murren are car-free. To pay for a car and gas (US$4.50 a gallon) just to then pay to park it for a few days seems like a waste, as it seems you would not use it to get up into the mountains and mountain passes.