Reload this Page >

Driving from Rome to Positano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 04:48 AM
B

We're flying into Rome and driving to Positano - we haven't looked at a map yet - will this be easy to maneuver? Should we buy a US map before we go? <BR> <BR>Thanks for the advice!

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 06:32 AM
Marj

If you're leaving from the airport it should be fine. Drving into Rome is another story. I would buy a good map ahead of time and plan your route. You can also get directions from mapquest.com and some of the other map sites. It's been years since I've drivien to Positano, if i remember correctly, some of it is very windy roads.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 06:39 AM
Dean

Hi <BR> <BR>I prefer teh maps of Touring Club Italiano 1:200,000. They are widely available. They are very large adn a littel akward to use in the car if you are not good at folding mape creatively. But they are far more detailed than Michelin's 1:400,000 maps. <BR> <BR>As to the drice to Positano, it is very easy. The A3 through Lazio and Campania is blindingly fast and yet full of trafice. In the open streaches it is not uncommon to see traffic tooling along at 200 km/h. Thats 120 mph in American! Just follow the signs to Napoli to the Tangenziale. Do not in any circumstances drive in Napoli unless you have a real deathwish. Then to Peninsole Sorrentina. Follow the signs to Sorrento and when you get to Meta there is a turnoff to Positano. Make sure your hotel has parking. Go slow and patiently when you hit the peninsula. We recomend you spend some time in Sorrento and eat at La Vela bianca in Marina Piccolo. Great seafood!

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 08:42 AM
Joe

Unless you're an experienced European driver, I would take public transportation to Positano - - train from Rome to Naples, Circumvesuviano from Naples to Sorrento, and then a blue SITA bus on to Positano(train and Circumvesuivano are in same station in Naples; buses are in driveway outside Circumvesuviano station in Positano) <BR> <BR> <BR>The roads on the Sorrentine peninsula are hard to manage for even experienced drivers.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 03:48 PM
KDenise

Just got back from Italy myself, and though I only drove in Tuscany (from and back to Florence), I'll add my two cents. <BR> <BR>Trains are the way to go. As the poster above said, fast train to Napoli, local train to Sorrento, bus (from the Sorrento train station) to Positano/Amalfi. We stayed in Sorrento and did the bus ride and loved it - I was very glad I wasn't driving that route - it's as if you're in a bus flying over the water, the edge is so close! Plus, a good nap on the train for everyone means you are all raring to go when you arrive. And you definitely don't need a car in Positano. <BR> <BR>I didn't mind driving through Tuscany, though it was a little hard to navigate. The map we had was not really for driving, I'm guessing, and some of the signage is a tad different than we are used to in the States. The physical act of driving was fine - my travel friend told me I was quickly becoming a 'real Italian driver'. We got lost at least once a day, and the final day, we were fine getting from Siena to Florence, then it took 2 hours to get to the rental car drop off because of all the one-way streets! We kept making a wider and wider circle until we found a way in. And that was Florence - no way am I ever driving in Rome!

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 02:51 PM
Chrissy

B - We JUST did this days ago and it worked out great. Sure, the roads are windy and other drivers are in a hurry but it was very manageable. I guess it depends on your tolerance for this sort of thing. A few comments. <BR> <BR>I spent $10 on a map of Italy before leaving and didn't use it once - the map Hertz gave us was fine. Likewise, they give you directions on how to get out of Rome to the autostrada. One piece of advice here - make sure you go all the way until seeing signs for the GRA (loop around Rome). We thought we got to it, but weren't there yet and ended up back in the heart of Rome. <BR> <BR>Rent a car that's small enough to get around the roads but quick enough that you can make good time and actually enjoy driving. I was only thinking size when I booked an economy class, but the car was a piece of crap and we were being passed left and right on the highway. <BR> <BR>Signs are good. I agree with the person above - not much parking in Positano - figure that out with your hotel before you go. And you don't need a car there, but we liked not having to be on a schedule and book tranfers. We just had our car, as we drove to Florence after Positano. <BR> <BR>Lastly, the roads are very narrow and windy so plan for the time it takes. It'll take you an hour just to get to Positano from the highway - FYI. <BR> <BR>We actually had fun driving (except for the crappy car). Good luck and let me know if ou have other questions.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 03:27 PM
az

B--This is excerpted from my post on this forum last June after a May visit to Italy. I strongly recommend having a car unless you intend to spend all of your time in Positano--which would be a mistake. It is truly a scenic spot, but only one of MANY along the Amalfi Coast, and having a car will allow you to see the others at your own pace. <BR> Just returned from a week driving the Amalfi Coast and inland <BR> backroads from there. If you enjoy driving, you will greatly enjoy the coastal <BR> road and its challenges--be sure to get a small car--parking is precious. A <BR> standard transmission is the best (and much less expensive) way to enjoy <BR> driving the coast; again, IF you enjoy driving. <BR> To get to the Coast, you have two choices: The Autostrada (A1 from Rome and <BR> A3 around Naples) to SS145 toward the Coast--look for the shortcut to Positano <BR> in Meta. This is the quickest by far--about 3 hours from Rome driving at 85-90 <BR> mph--there is no speed limit on the Autostrada, and you will be passed a lot at <BR> this speed. But for the scenic route, cut to the coast south of Terracina (SS82 <BR> off of A1) and wind along the coast to A3 around Naples to Meta. This will take <BR> much longer; at least twice as long as the Autostrada. <BR> There is no point in driving directly to the coast out of Rome; the area from <BR> Ostia (on the coast just SW of Rome) to Terracina is highly developed, and <BR> buildings block most of the view of the beach. <BR>