Reload this Page >

Zaragoza, Spain in January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:59 PM
val

We will be spending a week in the Zaragoza area in January to visit our 16 year old son who is studying there. Would love to find a clean, friendly, inexpensive(well maybe moderate) hotel near Plaza del Pilar or Plaza de Aragon for my husband, our 7 year old and me. Also ideas for a three day side trip with the kids. A little nervous because although I can handle myself in Frence and German, Spanish is a stretch for me!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 06:23 PM
Pedro

Among the best situated hotels, close to Plaza del Pilar, I could mention Hotel Tibur facing the Cathedral (Seo) and just in the other side of Plaza del Pilar stands Hotel NH Ciudad de Zaragoza. Both 3 stars and not very expensive. Regarding day trips, my vote would be clearly for Monasterio de Piedra ( 115 kms from Zaragoza, going to the south ), an amazing place full of waterfalls. One of the most surprising places to discover in Spain specially because it is located in the heart of a dry area.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Y Ole

Si, la situación hotelera de Zaragoza es envidiable. Yo les recomendaría que se quedaran en el Hotel Bogavante. Queda muy cercca de la Plaza Rizoleta a una cuadra de las estatuas de Neró y Calé. Yo creo que de todas esa es la posibilidad por un buen precio. Espero haberles ayudado. <BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 09:27 AM
A New Yorker

(Translation to prior message, in case such is needed) <BR> <BR>"Agree, the lodging situation in Zaragoza is enviable. I would recommend that you stay in the Hotel Bogavante. It is very close to the (square) Plaza Rizoleta, a block away from the statues of Neró (Nero) and Calé. I believe from all the alternatives, (Bogavante) offers the best possibility of a good price. Hope I was of help." <BR> <BR>¡Y Ole, eres una dulzura! <BR> <BR>(Y Ole, you are so sweet!!)

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Maribel

val, <BR>I was just asked this very question recently. Friends are going to visit their teenage daughter, a student at a Ct. boarding school, who is studying with SYA in Zaragoza. I suggested the NH Ciudad de Zaragoza, because this chain's properties are hip, very up to date, bathrooms sparkling, have lots of amenities, and very well run and give a lot of bang for your buck. Their flagship Zaragoza hotel is the NH Gran (classy and elegant), but their Ciudad de Zaragoza is nice too and has a noted restaurant. We stayed at the Husa Zenit Don Yo only because we could use a Bancotel coupon on a weekday in July (ridiculously inexp.), but it's nothing to write home about. We try to use the NH hotels in provincial capitals when we can. <BR>As for day trips, like Pedro, I can recommend the Monasterio de la Piedra. Also while in that area, I'd head up to Olite, Ujué, the Castle of Javier and Sos del Rey Católico, birthplace of Ferdinand of Aragón. There are Paradors in both Sos and Olite. But for an even more impressive, unforgetable 3 day trip, I'd head straight up past Huesca to the Ordesa National Park. You'll find truly spectacular scenery (the majestic Aragonese Pyrennes) between Biescas and Torla. It's a great area for hikes in really stunning surroundings. There are two really pretty, charming and moderately priced hotels in Sallent de Gallego, the "Almud" (El País calls it "a little doll house") and in next door Escarrilla, the "Mingo". <BR>See them at: <BR>www.hotelalmud.com <BR>www.innsofspain.com/HotelView.asp?HotelID=1038 <BR>Hope this helps. <BR>Maribel <BR>