Driving from Madrid to Seville

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are travelling from Madrid airport to Seville and would like to drive. We were wondering 1) How long is the drive and is it pleasant 2)are there quaint towns to stop in along the way and what is the scenery like? 3) or is it better to take the AVE?
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 08:04 PM

We had the same idea at one time, but realised the drive is too long. It's about 6 & 1/2 hours. We are thinking of flying to Seville instead and go to Cordoba, Granada & Malaga instead. Unfortunately we'll miss Madrid in doing so.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:40 AM

It is far easier and much more practical in the end to go on the AVE. 2.5 hours from Madrid. You will pass through a lot of empty scenery (along the train route at least) A car will NOT be easy in Seville, particularly if you are anywhere near the downtown-where you need to be for decent hotels.

echo- does Seville have international flights? You could easily fly into Madrid and spend a couple of days there before going to Seville, Granada on the train. Why Malaga, might i ask?
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:58 AM

Wildfire,

Most of the larger european airlines fly to Seville from their respective hubs and I would expect that many of the US carriers codeshare on these flights as well (haven't checked that last part out though). Malaga is the most convenient major airport for Granada BTW, and again most major european airlines fly there (along with lots of low-fare carriers).

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:26 AM

We go to Malaga because we plan to take a week of timeshare in Costa del Sol, probably Torremolinos.

Andre: Do you have any experience with any European low-fare carriers? I can fly to London on a cheap charter, then look for a cheap fare to either Seville or Malaga. How much time should I allow minimally for connecting?
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:33 AM

I have driven Madrid-Sevilla: It's not a very scenic drive (unless you happen to be a glutton for punishment).

AVE is not cheap, but it's a lot more comfortable than driving 350-mi in the heat. I would recommend it over driving. But then you have to factor in the cost of getting from the airport to Atocha rail station.

Check with Iberia, Air Europa & SpanAir for cut rate fares. All sell E-tickets (Internet only). When you get to Sevilla you can rent a car either at Santa Justa Rail Station or at the airport.
BTW
Madrid's aeropuerto de Barajas is not the most 'passenger (or handicapped) friendly:' I had a connection there last month from Continental (Intnl. arrivals) to SpanAir: Terminal #2, but had to walk all the way to Terminal #3 for SpanAir ticket counter, then back to Terminal #2, Gate-36. My Continental flight was 1-hr late arriving - that left me a 1-hr 'window.' I told the SpanAir ticket Agent I needed assistance: he called ahead and they held the flight for me.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:04 AM

another way is get a cheap fare from London to Gibraltar. Cross into spain and you arent far from Malaaga.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:16 AM

echo168,

I have flown on EasyJet several times and they are absolutely fine. Business colleagues of mine use Air Europa in Spain regularly and I haven't heard any complaints. Think Southwest Airlines in the US.

These airlines do have much lower luggage allowances than itineraries involving a transatlantic journey on "traditional" airlines (the latter also have lower allowances for itineraries exclusively involving flights within Europe).

Anway, as evidenced by NEDSIRELAND's post, I would recommend flying through to Seville and/or Malaga on a single ticket. Several airlines (Air France, British Airways, Lufthansa) should be able to provide you with "open jaw" tickets from your hometown all the way through to Seville and back from Malaga or vice versa at a competitive price.

Otherwise, I would figure in an overnight in London on either end to avoid unpleasant surprises due to airline schedule changes, delays etc.

NEDSIRELAND's transatlantic flight was only delayed by an hour and even then it was a close call. If she/he had missed her/his Spanair fight she/he would most probably have to purchased an entirely new ticket at a much higher fare.

Also, if you factor in the lodging and transportation costs in London (you will probably have to change airports), I expect that the single ticket option I mentioned above will be competitive.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:27 AM

Andre:
My Continental flight EWR-MAD was scheduled to arrive at 9:25 and my SpanAir flight MAD-SCQ was scheduled to depart at 11:25. My Continental flight arrived MAD 10:25. I had only a carry-on backpack. I arrived at the SpanAir Ticket Agent's (where my e-ticket was exchanged for a Boarding Pass) at 11:00 (i.e., 25-minutes before scheduled departure). So, if I missed the flight, I think my ticket would have been honored on a subsequent flight.

SpanAir is a 'Star Alliance' member and 'Code Shares' with Lufthansa: I've flown from Frankfurt Main to Bilbao and back on Lufthansa tickets - the flights were operated by SpanAir. What you say is true! You can do it with a single ticket on a major carrier but you may find yourself on what you consider a 'feeder' airline for some part of your journey.

Iberia is the only airline I know of that serves Malaga direct from the U.S. (Miami, Florida).
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 08:56 AM

NEDSIRELAND,

Spanair had absolutely no obligation to honor your ticket if you had missed your original flight, unless it was on a freely exchangeable full fare! As far as they were concerned, you were no different from any other passenger living in Madrid who booked his flight and showed up too late. Airlines will sometimes break their fare rules in such cases, but they are under no obligation to do so.

OTOH, if you are travelling on a single TICKET (not necessarily a single airline), the airline that issued the ticket is obliged to get you to your final destination at the price paid. You will be rebooked for free if you miss a connection and should also get meal and hotel vouchers for longer delays (unless caused by weather).

As you indicated regardng your trip from Frankfurt to Bilbao, the fact that a ticket is always issued by a single airline (Lufthansa in your case) does not mean that you will actually be flying on its planes on all or even any of the flight segments involved.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 09:30 AM

sure Seville has international flights. I flew there from London last March. I checked out all the airlines, and the best deals for me to SVQ from within Europe were London to SVQ via BA (which was an Iberia codeshare, so check both). Paris to SVQ on Air France was the next best. Both were cheap addons to my fare from US to either London or Paris.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 02:31 PM

i would take the drive. it is a very comfortable divided FREE highway. and you can get off and see many nice towns on the way.

1)aranjuez. royal summer palace, nautical musueum, beautiful tree lined streets

2)the plaza mayor at Tembleque is very quaint

3) get off at madrilejos and go see the impressive castle and windmills at Consuegra, on the don quijote route

4)get off at manzanares (i think there is a parador here, too)and go to Almagro, where the first play was presented in spain. the oldest theatre. quaint plaza mayor again. parador here.

then there isn't much to see for awhile

5) cordoba

6) carmona, its parador is very nice
and then sevilla.

this cannot be ALL done in a day, you would need to overnight, but you can easily do a couple of these and make it. (cordoba would not be doable after driving all day.. )i have done the rest with guests directly from barajas airport without a problem. but it was a long day. would have been nice to stop somewhere to sleep but we didnt have time.

have a good trip. if you want to drive , this is a good route since the road is very good, and even the side roads are not heavily travelled.

avoid fridays and sundays if possible unless travelling early those days. horrendous traffic all year at those times but summer even worse.

always know the NUMBER of your route that you want to take.
this will be posted at times without the town name.. so you must know it.

if you go to consuegra, do not be afraid to drive all the way up to the castle and windmills. it is worth the trip.this place at night is absolutely gorgeous. the best grouping of windmills on the route, and with the castle.. what else do you need!?
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your advice and suggestions. We are actually going to take the AVE as it seems easier and more time efficient. We also would rather spend more of our time in Seville, Granada, Cordoba, etc and surrounding area rather than on the road.

Thanks again.