Driving from Lisbon to Madrid

Old May 13th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from Lisbon to Madrid

I will be spending a week or so in the Lisbon area this July, and will then need to deliver a car back to Madrid. My companions and I will actually have several days to get from Lisbon to Madrid. (At least 3 days, possibly up to 6). The drive itself could easily be accomplished in half a day, but we would love to make a true roadtrip out of this. I would love recommendations for any stops/side-trips we could make in the region. We are two young couples who love food, drink, and history. Thank you!
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:00 AM

Cáceres, Mérida,( amazing archeology museum and Roman amphitheater, Trujillo, Guadalupe.. Oropesa ( beautiful castle )..just to name a few.

See where the explorers who went to the Americas were from.. very very cool historic area of Spain.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:57 AM

Don't just skip over Portugal like the first comment did ! On the motorway from Lisbon do stop off in Evora - a beautiful medieval walled city - and maybe do a short detour further on to Monsaraz or Marvao, both tiny hilltop villages that time forgot.
I second the idea of Caceres, though, a lovely place.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:46 AM

If you are near Salamanca do stop there..possibly the most beautiful plaza major in Spain, wonderful university buildings, thankfully very little if any graffiti, on the roman road/ la plata and reasonably priced as it is has university geared prices and is a true delight.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:51 AM

I'm not familiar with the Portuguese side of the route. Glad you added some other places. Now if only the OP would return!
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments! Sorry for the radio silence

Our travel plans have actually changed a bit. We will still be heading to Spain from Lisbon/Cascais, but will now be stopping in Seville and Granada before Madrid. I've spent time in these towns in the past, but recommendations are always welcome.

Thanks again.