Reload this Page >

Driving from Italian Lakes to Interlarken

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 02:12 AM
Minette

My husband and I will be driving from Lake Maggiore (near Stressa) to Interlarken at the beginning of November. Can any-one tell me if the mountain passes through these areas are open at that time of year? Also, what is the drive like? <BR>Thanks!!

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 04:21 AM
Kelly

I've done the same at roughly the same time. Actually, it will usually tell you on any road map the date the each pass will be open. Some that are higher than others will obviously be closed longer. There were quite a few closed when we drove, but it didn't seem to matter a whole lot. It is an interesting drive, you'll enjoy it. <BR>

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 03:18 PM
Cathy

<BR>Okay Minette...my husband and I are taking your route only in reverse the end of November, so I'm counting on you to report back.

Old Oct 3rd, 1998, 05:11 AM
Michael Murphy

Minette, <BR>I'm private emailing info re the CH pass closing months. If you do not receive an email from me ([email protected]), pls advise. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 4th, 1998, 08:03 AM
Bob Brown

We just got back from Switzerland. <BR>We drove from Interlaken over the Grimsel Pass via the Rhone Glacier to Brig, Visp and on to Zermatt and other parts of the Visp river valleys. <BR>Returning, we took the train ferry via Goppenstein to Kandersteg. From there it is a short drive to Interlaken. <BR> <BR>At that time of year I would be worried about the passes. The Grimsel Pass that we came over is steep, twisting and winding. Scenic as everything, but I would hate to drive it in a snow storm. <BR> <BR>The train ferry works well. We left Visp, near Brig, drove up the mountain to Goppenstein, pulled onto the train ferry, and 15 or 20 minutes later we were in Kandersteg. The fee was 25 Francs if I recall rightly, and the savings in time and effort were great. <BR> <BR>My guess is that you can drive up to the Rhone Valley at Brig and easily get to Goppenstein. But I have never driven into Switzerland from the south. <BR>Perhaps someone else can give you more specific info on that aspect.

Old Oct 6th, 1998, 12:18 PM
Mathias Rellstab

All the passes in the Central Alps will be closed in November. <BR>But it's no problem to get from Stresa to Interlaken, the route is: Stresa - Gravelona - Simplon Pass (opened round the year) - Brig (Wallis/Valais) - Goppenstein - train ferry to to Kandersteg - Spiez - Interlaken. <BR>If you have any other questions about travelling in Switzerland, send me a mail, it'll be a pleasure for me to answer. <BR>