Scotland Next Summer

Old Sep 23rd, 1998, 03:46 AM
Donna

Scotland Next Summer

Now that I've got the husband committed to 2 weeks in Scotland next summer, I'm interested in my fellow travelers' opinions as to a few things: best way to get there by buying coach and using American Express Membership Rewards to upgrade to first class, and specific sightseeing and golf activities once we get there. <BR> <BR>I might get the third week in this deal as well. I realize that opens up new possibilities. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for all your ideas! <BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 1998, 05:37 AM
Tom

Don't know about American Express upgrades, we flew to Manchester on Delta in business class for free and then went from York to Scotland. Golf is a subject by itself. I would suggest checking the Websites for Scotland and then determining which golf site is best for you. As far as sight seeing and where to stay and what to visit, we were in Scotland the first two weeks of this past August. E-mail me if you want detailed information on Edinburgh, St. Andrews, the Borders, and the Highlands and the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. Scotland is absolutely georgeous and the people are incredibly friendly!

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 05:32 PM
Jim

Hi: Just returned from Scotland after having been there for 2 weeks. Stunningly beautiful, is all I have to say about it. As for golf, don't miss St. Andrews just to visit and see even if you can't get to play there. I would suggest that for play though, make reservations and go to Gleneagles Resort near Perth. They have a marvelously wonderful Hotel and spa there. I can't say enough about it and the golf is great. Also, I might also suggest Muirfield east of Edinburgh. Don't forget to travel to Isle of Skye vis Glen Coe. Scenery is of the best that I have ever seen in my life (but not much in the way of golf there). I guarantee you won't regret going to Scotland. Worlds best kept secret. Enjoy!

Old Oct 2nd, 1998, 09:30 AM
Jack

Hi Donna, my wife and I just returned from Scotland this week and had a great time. Our favorite part was the west coast. A rental car, automatic tranny is a must.We stayed in B&B's along the way no problem. My advice re: Edinburgh in the summer is to book now.Ditto for St. Andrews, I think we got the last room in the town.There are all kinds of web sites to check, e-mail me if you want more info.

Old Oct 6th, 1998, 12:31 PM
kim

We took a day trip to St. Andrews from Edinburgh this summer and after touring the golf course/ St. Andrews' ruins, we caught the bus to Crail and hiked down the Fife Coastal Trail to Anstruther (3 miles of Scottish coast -- a footpath between the sea and rolling wheat feilds, pastures, and pig farm.... Very remote feeling but easy to get to. Only saw three or four other couples on the well marked path. Ask for directions to the trail head in Crail. We took the bus from St. Andrews (15 min)which runs both ways up and down the coast-- met locals, avoided tourists. One the highlights of our trip!! Wish we could have continued on to Pittenweem before catching the bus back to St. Andrews.