Driving from Holyhead to Salisbury

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving from the Irish Ferries terminal in Holyhead to Salisbury in September. Where is a good place to stop mid trip for lunch. Nothing fancy just a quick lunch, thanks!
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 07:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That is a very long drive -- about 6 hours if you are lucky with traffic on the M6/M5 or M40 (depending on which route you take) and any construction or collisions would add more time. . Most any lunch detours into towns/villages would add an hour or more. So I'd just plan on stopping at the next Motorway service area you see. Service areas are well sign posted but are miles apart, and have restaurants, petrol stations, etc. They are quick off/on exits.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 08:07 AM

Avoiding the motorways and heading down via Shrewsbury, Bridgnorth and picking up the M5 by Worcester takes no longer really and is a more pleasant journey. You could then just stop at a pub with food along the way when you are ready.
Motorways services are one of the circles of hell and to be avoided if at all possible.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 08:18 AM

>>Heading down via Shrewsbury, Bridgnorth and picking up the M5 by Worcester takes no longer really and is a more pleasant journey<<

I 100% agree it would be a much more pleasant drive -- but would also take at least an hour longer.

Partly depends on what time you arrive at Holyhead though. Must you do the whole drive in one day? Because exploring a bit of North Wales and stopping for the night somewhere in Shropshire would make for a nicer journey.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input! We are leaving Holyhead around noon and I know it's a long drive. We want to spend all of the next day in the Salisbury area. We only have one day there and then off to catch a cruise in Southampton! Thanks again!
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 01:51 PM

OK -- I assume you are taking a ferry from Ireland to Holyhead (otherwise why would you be in Holyhead?? ). If so -- forget about driving -- that makes no sense at all. You can fly from DUB to Southampton or LHR or LGW which ALL make more sense than ferry/all day drive.