DRIVING FROM GRANADA TO MADRID

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 12:21 PM
JASON LOEB

DRIVING FROM GRANADA TO MADRID

HI--FOR THE FINAL LEG OF MY TRIP (10 DAYS IN ANDALUCIA) I AM LOOKING FOR A GOOD ROUTE TO TAKE, ALSO SOME SPECIFIC, NOT-TO-MISS POINTS ON THIS ONE DAY DRIVE

(I KNOW JAEN AND WE ARE STAYING OVER NIGHT IN TOLEDO)

THANKS

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 12:30 PM
Maribel

Jason: Follow the "Marital Travel Fight" thread (lots of specifics there), and www.czlease.com will give you a route planner with travel distances,estimated time,route #, etc.

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 12:04 PM
maria

Jason,
The 2 cities of Ubeda and Baeza are just North of Jaen and are both incredible little Renaissance jewels...not sure how much time you will have to complete the drive and stop for sightseeing but even an hour or so in each (Ubeda is a little bigger) would be wonderful. Yhere is an incredible potter in Ubeda whose shop called Alfereria Tito has the most beautiful green glazed pottery at wonderful prices...also the parador in Ubeda has a great dining room...Maria

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 05:38 PM
Marta Speer

Cannot suggest a special route, just stay away from Madrid's four-star Hotel Orense. I was robbed INSIDE the hotel and the management was not at all helpful.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 11:09 AM
Paulo

Next July, we're driving a similar route (from Cordoba to Toledo). From the suggestions I got here and elswhere we're making the small detour to visit Baeza and another small detour to visit the windmills in Consuegra. We also plan to stop for a snack at D. Quixote;'s inn (where is that, in Manzanares? I don't remember).
Anyways, according to the DGT site (Spain's Direccion General de Trafico) the direct, fastest route from Granada to Toledo (straight north to Valdepenas and Madridejos than forking NW to Toledo) should take less than 4 hours (much faster than what the shell or cwlease sites show ... You may figure out how much time you have available for sightseeing along your route.
Paulo