Day trip from Madrid to Seville?

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 10:01 AM
Patrick

Day trip from Madrid to Seville?

We will be in Madrid for a week in feb and wondered whether it is possible to do a day trip to Seville or even Granada. We thought maybe Seville would be possible on the Tlago. Has anyone done this?

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 10:34 AM
Tonya

Dear Patrick,
The quickest train route from Madrid to Seville is on the AVE, and it takes about 2.5 hours. The Talgo takes considerably longer. Either way, I think a day trip is unreasonable -- try Toledo, Segovia, or El Escorial for daytrips instead. Better yet, spend a couple of days in the Andalucia region and give Seville the time it deserves! Enjoy your Spanish holiday.
Buen viaje,
Tonya

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 11:33 AM
Maribel

Dear Patrick,
Ditto to Tonya's advice. Better to save Sevilla and Granada (a six hr. Talgo ride)for another visit,if you can, and then you can take in more of Andalucia-the Mosque at Cordoba plus the white towns between Arcos and Ronda are must-sees too, and maybe a visit to the sherry bodegas in Jerez? There's plenty of great sightseeing in southern Spain for a week.
Other day trip possibilities from Madrid are Avila and Aranjuez (both easy by train), but I'd see the sites that Tonya has suggested to you first.
Have a great time in Madrid!

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 10:11 AM
Suzanne

I agree with the other responses. A daytrip is unreasonable to Seville or Grenada.

When in Madrid, my husband and I took a daytrip to Segovia and Avila. We spent a night in Toledo, but that could be a day trip too.

If you have the flexibility, I would stay in Seville for at least a couple days.

We rented a car and found the roads pretty easy to navigate with a good map.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 11:16 AM
Carl

Okay, here's a vote the other way!

My wife and I "did" the one-day trip to Sevilla last year and were thrilled with it. The AVE is a great train (esp. 1st class) -- we left at 8 or 9 am, ate on the train, got to Seville and figured out the right bus to take downtown from the station, but took a taxi back later -- neither is hard nor expensive. We wandered through the old part of the city, "did" the Alcazar -- revelling in the gorgeous garden -- and cathedral. We did none of it at a fast pace (actually skipped the guided tour to the Alcazar and just wandered). Had a nice late-afternoon meal at a cafe, did a little shopping, walked around a bit more, and caught the train at about 6 or 7 and got back to Madrid in time for one of the traditionally late Madrileno dinners. I'm sure there's a lot more to Sevilla than what we saw, but I really felt we got a good flavor/taste of it in that one day. It was a highlight of our trip.