Reload this Page >

driving from florence through tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:41 PM
jc

we will be in florence in early september. <BR><BR>should we secure a rental car in the usa?<BR><BR>are rental cars very available on an as needed basis?<BR><BR>how is the driving from florence through the scenic routes south of the city&gt;<BR><BR>can we drive and more importantly, park in pisa?<BR><BR>any driving tips would be appreciated?<BR><BR>we will probably secure a rail and drive pass which will allow for two days automatic rental car.<BR><BR>jc

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:53 PM
Sue

Much cheaper to rent from US than to wait to do it in Europe. We've always used AutoEurope (located in ME, I believe); web is www.autoeurope.com No problems, always good service.<BR>This past June we picked up our car at the Avis office (thru AutoEurope) in Florence and drove toward Pisa, but we turned off to go to Lucca, our destination, before Pisa. We didn't make any mistakes, altho it is never as easy as the directions they quickly give at the rental offices. You have to remain alert until you get on the major highways, and then you must be alert for cars that always are going faster than you! Don't know about parking in Pisa, but it was crowded in Lucca, Siena, and some of the other hill towns.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:56 PM
Rex

&lt;&lt;should we secure a rental car in the usa?&gt;&gt; - - yes - - and all the good companies will let you lock in a better price than you will (probably) find ad hoc in italy - - with NO cancellation penalty - - try www.autoeurope.com - - for example - - for starters, and possibly the only place you really need to check.<BR><BR>&lt;&lt;are rental cars very available on an as needed basis? &gt;&gt; ad hoc? on a single day basis? a very high-priced way to approach it.<BR><BR>&lt;&lt;how is the driving from florence through the scenic routes south of the city?&gt;&gt; Excellent<BR><BR>&lt;&lt;can we drive and more importantly, park in pisa?&gt;&gt; - - yes, surprisingly not difficult - - and good, secured parking less than 100-200 yards away from the Campo dei Miracoli, i.e., the Leaning Tower, Duomo, Baptistery - - and the rest of the "over-touristified" - - but still very worthwhile attractions - - and surely to be even more thronged in the coming year with the opening of the tower again.<BR><BR>&lt;&lt;any driving tips would be appreciated?&gt;&gt; the left lane is always for passing only - - do NOT get in the lane and "sit".<BR><BR>&lt;&lt;we will probably secure a rail and drive pass which will allow for two days automatic rental car.&gt;&gt; this is perhaps the ONLY reasonable way to secure ad hoc one-day rentals. still a little overpriced, compared to a one-week car rental, but not insanely so.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:37 PM
topping

topping<BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 10:15 PM
DSC

Driving Italy:<BR><BR>Stay right always except to pass(look in yor mirror -the left lane can move as fast as 130 mph or more)<BR><BR>A GPS is very handy if you travel the rural roads.<BR><BR>PISA is nice for a 1 hour visit. It is overrun with tourists. <BR><BR>Florence is overrated.<BR><BR>Verona, Padova, Venicewith a side trip to Lago de Garda....a much better Italian option IMHO.<BR><BR>Good Luck.<BR>DSC

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Gabrielle

We are in Australia and always hire through Hertz Europe - we are paying only $37.00 AUS a day which is roughly $20 US dollars - good luck

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:49 PM
Tom

Gabrielle,<BR><BR>I realize that your post is quite a few days old, but perhaps you will be coming back here. That rate seems awfully good. Is it for 7 days? available only to Australians? How did you get it exactly? For what size car?<BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:08 PM

Topping again. Geez scrolling fast right now.<BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:33 PM
Lan

To DSC-- what is a GPS? We WILL be traveling on rural roads going to those hilltowns. Thanks. Lan

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 01:09 AM
christina

ciao lan<BR><BR>GPS = Global Positioning System. with something like 8 satellites (could be more) connected with your hand-gps-computer, they help you to tell you where exactly you are. <BR><BR>often men's toy. because they often (very often) refuse to ask someone where they could be. so a gps is handy and they don't have to talk to strangers.<BR><BR>;-)<BR><BR>christina

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 01:52 PM
dean

With all due respect to DCS I couldn't disagree more with DSC as to both Pisa and FLorence. WHile I would not spend a lot of time in Pisa, some of the best things from our last 2 week visit to Italy were enjoyed there. There is the Camposanto or cemetary in the Campo dei Miracoli. Inside, there is a superb fresco cycle called Il Triunfo delle Morte. You will not face a crowd there and it is truly stunning. It was painted during the black death of the 14th centuary when over 60% of the people of Pisa died. It is some unknown artist's vision of the end of mankind. The tower was not open when we were there but I would brave the crowds to go up. In addition there was a great church on Piazza dei Cavelleri where there were naval artifacts of the Medici fleets and the part they took in the great naval battles of the day against the arabs. Lunch at Osteria dei Cavelleri was a culinary highlight. A walk along the Arno was super as well and free from many tourists. Finally we cam across street musician playing jazz of very high quality. Parking in Pisa is very easy but you have to go buy a parking permit when you park on many of the streets of Pisa especially between the Campo dei Miracoli and the Arno, they only cost about $4 or 5.00.<BR><BR>As to Florence, its hard for a place with as much great art to be over rated. In fact, there is a documented medical condition based on eye strain that has been recorded is Florence called Stehndahl's syndrome. It comes from having too many beautiful objects to look at. The issue with Florence is how crowded it is. Its like Manhattan with much older and more crowded streets. Florence has very few quaint and traffic free streets. That is why we usually stay in castellina and day trip to Florence. That way we get quiant and uncrowded and can see the great art of Florence. But with a little planning, florence should be wonderful. <BR><BR>There is just so much to see you need to balance. If you have 2 days trips into Florence you can see the accademia and ufizzi where you can reserve your entrance times (absolutely essential if you go at high season). Be sure to go to Santa Croce for the tombs and Giotto freschi. I would also recomend going to Santa Maddelana Magdalena dei Pazzi for the Perugino Freschi. also the Brancacci chapel in Santa Maria della Carmine for the Masaccio, Lippi and Masolino Freschi. Also a lunch in the quieter neighborhoods of Oltr'Arno such as Casalingha are a great antidote to the buzz of historic Florence. Finally, Florence has quite a high concentration of outstanding gelaterie, always a major factor in my personal happiness. <BR><BR>jc, please look up my other postings on my 10 favorite things to do in Florence, Toscana Suggestions on the rest of Tuscany, my 10 favorite things to do in Venice or Rome for more info on Italy. Just search on "dean" and you will find them. I also ahve an article on driving in there as well. and "Italy"

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Carin

Autoeurope is reasonable, easy, and efficient!<BR>Driving out of Florence is easy - driving in is horrible!<BR>BE SURE TO KNOW AND UNDERSTAND THE ROAD SIGNS BEFORE YOU DRIVE!!!<BR>I do speak Italian and did fine everywhere, but I forgot to review the road signs and we spent almost twice as much time in the car as we needed to (although getting lost in Tuscany is not alwyas a bad thing).