driving from cdg to avignon

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please tell me if we're crazy to attempt this instead of taking the TGV. we're traveling with a baby (and all her gear) and will need a rental car to get around provence anyway (staying in a mas in the countryside). my husband is comfortable driving in europe and we speak french, so those aren't factors. open jaw flights are not an option since we're using miles, and we will be spending the last week of our trip in paris. how long will the drive take? would we still be better off schlepping our stuff and a cranky baby on the train? thanks in advance.
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
A cranky baby would be far more comfortable on the train, which would arrive in Avignon in just 3 hours.

Via Michelin says that the 711 km drive will take 6 1/2 hours (not counting rest stops) and cost 45.20€ in tolls as well as about 80€ in fuel.
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Oh, no. I wouldn't drive it without a baby. 2 hours vs. probably 8, and a not very interesting drive? What is the decision here!!!
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:28 PM

The train is the way to go! It will probably be relatively uncrowded. Get a "four top" which will include a table for you and your partner. You can put the baby on the table in her car seat.(ahhh sleeping baby) Baggage is easily stored on this train. Book first class.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You can pick up a car upon arrival in Avignon and have fun driving back to Paris for the last week of your trip, if you want.
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:30 AM

I wouldn't drive back either! Spend the time in Paris--or Provence. Not in between on an autoroute.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:01 AM

My husband and I just got back from France Tuesday. We drove from Paris to St. Remy de Provence. We took two days to do the trip, and drove the N and D roads rather than the toll roads. For someone who speaks French and is comfortable driving in Europe, it's a really easy and pleasant trip. But I wouldn't want to do it in one day, especially with a baby.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:15 PM

I always use frequent flyer miles and fly open jaw, there's never been a problem.

Does the TGV go from Paris to St. Remy or just to Avignon, also, what is the cost per adult.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:48 PM

I've driven every segment of that road, but I'de never attempt to drive the entire route all in 1 day. To start with, you're heading south & the sun will be in your face the entire time. Most of the road is 2 lane, and you can only use the left lane for passing. You'll be behind trucks most of the time, checking your rear view mirror to see if you can pass the truck - and if someone is attempting to pass you also. It's very streeful, IMO. Geting around Lyon could be a major problem. Last year it was stop & go - mostly stop when we drove by. We had to get off on the side roads just to make any progress.

Also, I guarentee that there will be at least 5 "deviations" where everyone gets into a single lane going about 60K per hour.

The TGV is fast (3 hrs), scenic, cheap if you get a PREM (I think 25 E or so - 40 for first class), and relaxing. Take the TGV, pour a glass of Rose, and in 3 hrs you'll be in Provence.

Neither the TGV nor any other train goes to St Remy - which is only 30 mins or so from the Avignon TGV station by car.

This is probably my last post for quite some time - we're heading out for Provence tomorrow.

Stu Dudley
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:02 PM

Hi,

I traveled this road and had no problems at all. We went from Paris to Nice in one day. That being said, do not do it. Even with good conditions, it is long, at least 6 hours to Avignon and the TGV is so fast.