driving from bellagio to nice

Jan 29th, 2002, 06:57 PM
andrew

driving from bellagio to nice

Hi. We're trying to determine if it makes sense to drive in one day from Bellagio, Italy to Nice, France. Does anyone know approximately how long this drive is? Does it makes sense to stop for a night in Genoa, which appears to be about halfway?

Jan 29th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Kay

Go into viamichelin.com and check out the time and distance. I am driving from Lake Como to Aix-en-Provence in one day. I expect it to take 5 hrs. or so.

Jan 29th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Rex

As can be inferred from Kay's answer, there's no need to overnight in Genoa. But a relevant question is whether you're going to pay a substantial surcharge to return an Italian rental car in France (or are you coming back to Italy later)?

If so, then you may find it worthwhile to turn in the Italian car in san Remo (closest border town I've found), and take the train to Nice. Convenient car rental facilities at both ends of this short train ride (which nevertheless does require a change in Ventimiglia). At least Hertz and Avis are convenient in San Remo (Budget/Maggiore is NOT so convenient).

Best wishes,

Rex

Jan 29th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Robert

I am going fro Monaco to Bellagio and I expect to make it in less than 5 hours. Don't stop in Genoa, it is a very crowded city and you will lose lots of time.

Jan 29th, 2002, 07:30 PM
andrew

Thank you both.

Rex, we are not returning to Italy. Our travel agent never mentioned a surcharge for renting in Italy and returning in France. I'll check it out.