Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Arcos de la Frontera to Salema, Portugal

Feb 27th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

my wife and i are driving from arcos to salema at the end of may, after 8 days in andalucia. it appears to be about a 4 hour drive and we would like to break it up with a lunch stop and perhaps some wandering a small village. considering tavira, yeah with 27,000 people more than a village. any suggestions of a charming stop not too far off the freeway? thank you in advance for your help.
Feb 27th, 2016, 02:23 PM

About an hour from Salema you'll find Restaurant São Gabriel (www.sao-gabriel.com) in Estrada Quinta do Lago - Vale do Lobo. It's a one-Michelin star by chef Leonel Pereira
Feb 28th, 2016, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

looking for some thing smaller and quainter but thanks for the suggestion
Mar 9th, 2016, 12:21 PM

Make it through to Salema.if you can...lots of nice trendy and traditional restaurants there and very relaxing setting.
Mar 22nd, 2016, 02:14 AM

Hi!

My suggestion: below the main bridge in Portimão (if you are in road n125 you have to exit where it is written "Ferragudo, Estombar, Porto", and then go direction Portimão - you will have to cross the bridge to enter Portimão) there are 3 ou 4 nice and typical restaurants. Try "cataplana" of seafood ou mixed with pork. A meal for two, with wine, bread and coffee, would be more or less 60 eur. If you prefer you can eat grilled fish (the fish of the day, it depends of what fishermem catch that day) it would be cheaper. If you have the time take a walk by the river and have some ice cream in the next square.
May 12th, 2016, 12:06 AM

Hope I'm still on time to make you a suggestion, not for lunch but just to see the views: after crossing the border, if you take N125 you'll pass Vila Real de Santo António, Montegordo, and after a few kms you'll see the mention of "Cacela Velha" to the left. It's a small (really small) village (maybe 20 houses in total) with the best views of eastern Algarve. I believe it is worthy a short visit, it will take you maybe 15 mnts from your way. Just look for it on google and decide.
May 12th, 2016, 04:30 AM

In Tavira, A Ver Tavira (R. Tavira de Durango) was very good.