Northen Portugal - Where to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We made our honeymoon trip to Portugal in June 1966. This year I want to offer my wife a trip to Portugal to celebrate our 40th anniversery of marriage.
As we are landing in Porto, I'm looking to stay in a radius of maximum 150km around Porto.(a 5 days stay with a rental car)
My question is, what is to you the best Hotel or Pousada (regardless the price) where we can be pampered for this unique occasion.We both love good food and good service in a nice sourrounding.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Congratulations fg. Your question has a simple answer:
http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/...es/bussaco.htm
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 11:53 AM

You cannot imagine what this place is like until you see it.
Check prices on www.secretplaces.com. They give excellent prices, good service and will include a little travelogue with your reservation.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:56 PM

The Pousada at Viano do Castello---amazing coastal views and good food in my favorite town in the Minho. You did say NORTHERN Portugal.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 05:59 AM

Is Spain out of the question? There's a Parador in Tui, just across the Minho river from Valença do Minho and another one in Baiona at the mouth or ria de Vigo. The latter is el Castillo del Condé de Gondomar. I believe the one in Tui is also a Castle.

If Golf is your thing, you might look into the Golf Resort near Espinho, on the coast south of Porto.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM

The Pousada in Vianna do Castello has the best view I've see in Northern Portugal. If the weather is clear it will be breath taking. The view is off the cean & beach, the river, Vianna do Costello, the estuary. it is a long & wide view up the river down to the ocean. The overview to the basilica below alone is worth it!This is the place for a special occasion. I guess I'm ready to go back.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Great info, Thx
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 08:12 AM

If you would prefer to be in a sort of out of the way, beautiful, historic site, I'd recommend the pousada at Mesao Frio, a few hours from Porto in a spectacular setting up high above the Douro. A totally rural setting, unlike Viana do Castelo, which is up the hill from the downtown.

I agree that the pousada at Viana do Castelo is very pretty, and the view is great, but the hotel itself is larger and not a historic building. And the grounds at Mesao Frio are very nice for strolling as well. The restaurant there is small and cozy, good food, great breakfasts. It's all a matter of what kind of place you prefer and whether you're looking to be a tourist or just relax. And congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved Guimaraes and stayed at Pousada de N. Sra. de Oliviera right in the old town so that we could walk everywhere. The ohter pousada right outside of town was booked for a wedding, and in the end, we were happy to be in the town center. We also were surprised that we loved Porto; the Hotel Infante de Sagres was elegant with exceptional service, lovely dining room and breakfast,very large room and bathrooma, and reasonably priced. We loved northern Portugal and Galicia in Spain.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 06:47 AM

bkm.