Reload this Page >

Driving from Amsterdam to Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Bart

I am planning on driving from Amsterdam to Prague next summer. If anybody has had an experience like this I would like to hear highlights and tips.<BR><BR>I have been told that is roughly a 7 to 8 hour drive, is that true? And I'm also curious as to what might be an interesting stop on the way (Germany).

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Ira

Hi Bart,<BR> I haven't made the trip, but it's 11 hours by train, not counting the stop in Berlin.<BR><BR> See http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Dale & Kathy

I tend to doubt that number. We drove from Berlin to Prague about two years ago and, as I recall, it was a good 4 or 5 hour drive. Don't forget - when you pass the border immediately stop and buy the highway stamp (it goes on the driver's side of the windshield). It's cheap but you can apparently be fined heavily if you don't have it and it's never on a rental car. And once you do have it, some gas stations in Western Europe won't turn on their gas pumps for you unless you prepay because they think you're Czech (happened to us in Switzerland). Guess there's a good story there somewhere. Also, confirm with your rental company that they let you drive to the Czech Republic. We had a Mercedes rented and they changed it to a Ford station wagon after they questioned us about our itinerary.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 08:53 AM
John

Hi Bart,<BR><BR>Do investigate the implications of taking a car into the Czech Republic. <BR><BR>And you may want to consider that a car in city center Amsterdam is a burden. Similarly a car in city center Prague is a burden.<BR><BR>Having said that, last year my wife and I did several weeks in the Netherlands, Germany and Austria with a rental car. We added four days in Prague in the middle but turned in the car and took the train to Prague. . . a good decision based upon only wanting to see the city of Prague and not surrounding towns.<BR><BR>The 'highlights' - too many to list; but I would not miss the Rhine River area, the Romantic Road in Bavaria or Salzburg Austria.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 12:33 AM
Harzer

Using autobahns the most direct route is: <BR>Amsterdam - Arnhem - Essen - Kassel - Erfurt - Dresden - Prague.<BR>This is a trip of some 860km or 540 miles. You should not expect to do it in eight hours driving or even one day, although this is indeed possible if there are no roadworks or accident sites to contend with. I did a similar trip (Munster to Zittau) two years ago and was forced to stay the night in Weimar, just past Erfurt, when I got into a 'Stau' (jam) and was absolutely stationary on the autobahn for three hours.<BR>Weimar, where the poet Goethe lived, is worth a visit, and I would recommend you plan to break the journey there, if it gets too stressful. There is no need to book ahead - there is plenty of accommodation in town that you can find for yourself.<BR><BR>Harzer

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 09:07 AM
jason

I made a webpage for people driving in the Czech Republic and parking in and around Prague which you can find at http://www.jasoncholt.com/prague. I'm sure it will answer most of your questions. Consider the train to Prague and hire a car here. Amsterdam to Prague via Germany. I would probably stop for a little tour of either Wurzburg or Nurnburg as both will be on your route.<BR><BR>Jason