Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving around Europe - Norway worth a visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am a Fodor's virgin but here goes! Me and my partner are planning to go off around Europe in our 1967 VW split screen camper (currently very definitely off road, ie, a heap!). We are aiming to set off next June/July (subject to van being ready!). What I am trying to decide is whether it would make sense to go from Newcastle over to Norway to explore some of the scandinavian countries or whether to hop straight over to France from Dover. If we did option number two, we'd be leaving out the scandinavian countries all together for this trip. So, what I'm really asking is if they're worth a visit? Any one any thoughts? We're looking at travelling for around 9-12 months all together.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:33 AM
rex

Define "worth a visit" and you might get answers in that particular context. What parts of the British Isles and Channel Islands are, or are not "worth a visit"? Compared to what?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:41 AM

JMHO but you seem to have time on your side. Scandanavia is definetaly worth a visit. The norwegian fjords are beautiful. I would plan on stopping at one fjord town anyway. Copenhagen is also a must see. I would also recommend a stop in Sweden. Stockholm is great but so is Gothenburg if you want to cut down on your travel through Scandanavia. I wouldn't pass on the opportunity to see Scandanavia.
Sounds like a great adventure. I'm so jealous
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:51 AM

They seem to be worth it to a whole lot of Scandinavians! They were worth it to me (but so was practically every other place I've ever visited). How can we know what's "worth it" to you?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

I'm sure most places in the world are worth visiting, I guess I'm asking in relation to the driving part of the trip. In the sense that Norway etc, seem to be fairly accessible (from UK) and therefore maybe I should look at concentrating this driving holiday on mainland Europe and venture to Scandinavia for a more conventional 'tourist' holiday! However, not sure that we want to miss out on driving through the beautiful Norway scenery so guess have answered my own question!