Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

oslo to copenhagen in a day- doable or nuts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will be traveling late may and was wondering if the driving route from oslo to copenhagen could be done between 6 or 7 hours...rick steves suggested about 6.25 hrs and his estimates are usually conservative but looking at the map, i am not sure this could be done...

anybody out there who's done this route?
thanks in advance!!
mike
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:04 AM
dkw

Mikeytoo:

My Husband and I drove from Copenhagen to Oslo in May 2001. We had reservations for the night in Fjallbacka. As I recall it took about 4 hours to reach Fjallacka from Copenhagen, however, this was in a nasty rainstorm. From Fjallbacka to Oslo took about 3 hours driving I would guess. We stopped to see the the rock carvings in Tanumshede, (Very interesting....UNESCO World Heritage site) so there again I am estimating!! If you have the time, I suggest you stay over halfway and look around the area. The coastline is beautiful!! We will most assuredly return to the area for a longer visit in the future
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:42 PM

Yep, doable. I did it in the summer of 1998 in 8 hours of very easy driving and that was before the Oresund bridge was opened. I drove up to Helsingor and took the ferry across to Helsingborg. The 8 hours includes waiting around for the ferry and the ferry crossing time.

The route across the Oresund bridge is a little pricey . . . I think I paid around $80 USD total. That was a couple of years ago, just to drive over to Malmo and back for the heck of it.
Old May 13th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

thanks dkw- i'll keep Fjallacka in mind..

snoopy-$40 one way!? that's certainly pricey..one guidebook mentioned $30 so i guess that's outdated..

also i'm thinking to stop and look around gothenburg, anything interesting there? also, is lund worth a detour to peek around?

one last question: how fast do the scandinavians drive anyway? i always do good time in france and italy but i wonder about sweden, norway and denmark..

thanks for any input,
mike
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:03 AM

We Scandinavians drives very fast! No, I'm only kidding. The speed limit on highways in Norway is mostly 80 - 90 km/h. (100 km/h just a few places). In Sweeden it is the same, but some places have 110 km/h.
In towns the speed limit is 50 km/h.
I haven't driven from Copenhagen to Oslo, but from Gothenburg to Oslo it takes about 4 hours. I have been to Gothenburg a lot of times. I think it is a nice city, especially for shopping. The most popular destination in Gothenburg is Liseberg which is an amusement park. There is a botanical garden and some interesting museums. Take a look at the web page for Gothenburg: http://www.goteborg.com/
The area between Gothenburg and Oslo has a beautiful coastline. The archipelago is just great. There is a lot of small towns that is so nice.... Just after crossing the norwegian border there is a small town called Halden which has a fortress overlooking the town. At the fortress there is a museum with the history of the fortress during the war beetween Norway and Sweeden.
Then there is Fredrikstad and the fortified town. Very charming.