Driving advice for Southern Spain

Old Sep 9th, 2018, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving advice for Southern Spain

Early planning for a driving trip from Barcelona to Sevilla (via Cadiz).

In that part of Spain, we have spent time in Barcelona, Granada, Sevilla, Ronda, Arcos, so we are not revisiting these places this trip (other than Barcelona where we fly in and Sevilla, where we fly to Lisbon)

Trying to work out en route stops for the trip, where we prefer to follow the coast rather than the autoways.

So far, have planned on stopping overnight in Tarragona & Peniscola, then 4 nights in Valencia.

We anticipate??? stopping another 2 nights between there, and Cadiz.

Thoughts are Cartagena and Malaga perhaps???

P.S: We are from Australia, so do not mind driving distances!

Any input would be gratefully accepted.

Lara
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 12:11 AM

Taking the coastal route will mean taking the Autovía because you do not have a lot of time.
Driving long distances in Spain is very different to your home land, please do not over stretch yourself.
use viaMichelin to pre-plan your route. Do not to forget to add meal times and rest stops. Meals in Spain are at an hour to which is different to the rest of the world. Take that into account. Meals are usually taken with ease. Take that into account.
You will need an IDP for each diver.
When is this trip?
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 12:13 PM

IDP and last I knew spare pair of spectacles if needed on license in car at all times - roadside checks apparently could ask for that.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 05:39 PM

Old town of Cartagena is interesting. The Roman ruins can take up a few hours. The local beaches in the regional park are a trek but an interesting place.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 06:10 PM

Alicante is really pretty. Nice for a stop of some kind, lunch, visit to the food market, walk under magnificent plane trees on walkway of gorgeous mosaics.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying.

We have driven in Spain before so are aware of all the requirements...some could be brought downunder perhaps
Love the late mealtimes as it allows you to sight see all day without having to rush to get a dinner reservation.
Anyway, do you advise another night to stop in addition to the 2 already planned? I would rather do this than take the Autovias!
Michelin is a great tool and is useful in planning the route for us. I just was not sure what town would be more "interesting"/ "authentic" over another. My research on the appropriate towns, builds everyone of them up to be potential overnight stops, naturally!