Search

Driver"s License & Language

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2017, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver"s License & Language

Hi All,

My husband and I are considering a one week self drive trip in Portugal. We have never been. First I was wondering if an International Drivers Permit is necessary. I've seen some old posts saying yes but nothing recently. Also, we do not speak any Portuguese so I was also wondering if anyone thought this might be an issue. We will be visiting and staying in Porto, Lisbon and the Douro Valley area. We do have some smart phone translator apps, not optimal but maybe good in a crunch.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 04:09 PM

I always carry it and yet, I have not had to show it, ever, anywhere. But if the day arrives when someone in authority insists, and I don't have it, will it be worth the few bucks I'm saving if I don't renew it?

Ask yourself that question, only you can answer it.

Get it from the AAA: www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 07:49 PM

I haven't carried an international drivers licence since the 80s. However I have just booked some rental cars for this year and the one for pick up in Antibes states that an int licence is mandatory. The one in Paris and the U.K. no mention. This is a first for me, perhaps maybe things are swinging back to having the int licence...don't know.
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 01:49 AM

I do not think an IDP in Portugal is required. However cross into Spain and it will certainly be.
Portugal you will find someone somewhere to speak English,but do not rely on it 100% of the time. Always use a few words to say thanks and please goes down well everywhere in the world.
The Portuguese TV is subtitled and not dubbed that is why English is understood better than in Spain.
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 02:24 AM

Portugese speak French quite well.
When we didn't find some guys who spoke French, we used English.
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. We will definitely renew the IDP. As always, we will certainly try to learn as many Portuguese phrases as our brains can hold. Good to know that we can fall back on French. We are more likely to be able to stumble through with French than with Portuguese. Thanks again.
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 12:26 PM

Unless you have driven before in Western Europe, it would behoove you to familiarize yourself with the road signs. That would be far more useful than learning Portuguese, at least as far as driving is concerned. Of course, whatever Portuguese you can muster will be appreciated.

The Portuguese Embassy website should tell you if the IDP is necessary or not. I don't think it is, but check.
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 01:25 PM

Yes, it now seems that the IDP in now required in Portugal. They signed the original agreement in 1949, but didn't enforce it until recently. Why, is anyone's guess.

http://www.autoeurope.com/go/interna...e-in-portugal/
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 01:33 PM

<i> Driver"s License & Language
Posted by: long2travel on Mar 21, 17 at 8:03pm</i>

For an illustrated introduction to driving in Europe see http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap18/auto-1.htm.

The fact that so many Brits visit Portugal also encourages widespread knowledge of English, especially among those in the hospitality trade. Fear not. Many Portuguese love to practice their "English," American version.

I would suggest avoidance of night driving. Get some detailed Michelin maps and bring a GPS thing with Portugal maps. The Michelin site https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps?address=Portugal is a great aid in finding your way.
Old Mar 24th, 2017, 12:19 PM

****Yes, it now seems that the IDP in now required in Portugal. They signed the original agreement in 1949, but didn't enforce it until recently. Why, is anyone's guess.***

Maybe the old addage that fines brings in revenue?
Old Mar 24th, 2017, 02:30 PM

Spent two weeks in Portugal last September, in the exact 3 locations you are considering, and virtually every single person we encountered under the age of 50 spoke excellent English. We were told it has been required in school for quite some time.

I realize you didn't ask this, but one week total is really pinching your time for these 3 areas. If that is all the time you will have, maybe you'd think about spending 3 - 4 days in Porto, doing just a day trip from there to the Douro, and the rest of your time in Lisbon. Still would be too rushed a pace or me, but maybe OK for you.